Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why does everyone wash their quilt as soon as the last stitch is completed? >

Why does everyone wash their quilt as soon as the last stitch is completed?

Why does everyone wash their quilt as soon as the last stitch is completed?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
I love the feeling of new! New anything, so I hesitate to wash my quilts. I think I am afraid they won't look as good once they are washed. I know that sounds weird. I have one that is going to a friend and I keep trying to make myself wash it, but no luck so far!
I never wash my quilts on completion! I wash and starch the fabric before cutting; I keep the pieces covered when not working on them; when the quilt is in one piece, I spread it out on a bed and cover with a clean sheet in between stitching periods; I always wash my hands before stitching! Why would I want to wash it on completion?!! It always looks as good as new and ready for the recipient!

I should add that we don't have any pets; I never have food or drink around; I use a locking stitch at beginning/end of each seam so, hopefully, nothing should ever come undone and, as I don't like the crinkly look, I wash the batting first as well!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Like so many others I have a very furry helper And there are people out there who are allergic to cats and we don't always know the recipients of our quilts.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I do for several reasons.
1. I want to make sure the person I gift to gets a clean quilt.
2. I want to make sure no seams come apart or that there are no other problems.
I made 3 baby quilts and gave them the washer and dryer test to make sure everything was holding fine especially they were my very first quilts....
I bought all my fabric for those quilts from somebody here on this blog. I don't know if it is the fabric or me but on one quilt, ONE color all the seams are falling apart, This was a pinwheel quilt so not easy to repair. Now repairing and fully quilting all the blocks for extra solidity and I hope it will hold the rest of it.
So that is one reason why I will always wash my quilts after they are finished.
Also the chemical the manufacturer put in the fabric, the dragging around while sewing are all reasons for me to wash before giving away :-)...Back to my repairs now :-( grrrrrrrr
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 AM

I'm glad I read this. I thought I was weird!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 AM

MY DOG THREW UP ON MINE! IT SMELLED TERRIBLE, IT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD FIND
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 AM

guess I am the different one I always prewash all of my fabric as I do not like working with the chemicals in it also if it is going to shrink or bleed I want to know before all of the work is put into it since I am retired with no smokers or pets in the house it will finish as new and will not need washing just my way
Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Washed quilts have a different feel--softer, friendlier--I always do mine in the summer, and dry them outdoors in the shade, love the smell of them when dry. Plus I want to remove the markings from the quilting--I am a hand quilter, so there are fine pencil lines all over the quilts. piecefully, the old one
Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I do for several reasons.
1. I want to make sure the person I gift to gets a clean quilt.
2. I want to make sure no seams come apart or that there are no other problems.
3. i like that crinkly look in my quilts.
Exactly for all of those reasons plus one more----to get rid of the cat hair.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 AM

I have a smoke free pet free home at this time. Pets may come into the home sometime later again. But for now, I pretest for fading then when sure water is clear I wash fabrics in hot water and dry on hottest setting. Figure no one can do worse to it.
I sew it up and give it away. I never considered washing. I thought this way it looks new. If they like crinkly look they can wash.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
I like to be sure, if I am giving it away that nothing shrinks strangely (even though I test stuff, sometimes it does) and that like the other person said, there isn't something that comes loose.
I do press them afterwards, but I have not made any really big things in years, mostly crib quilts....
This is REALLY a dumb question: HOW do you press a quilt after it is completed? Once I pressed the binding after it was done and it seems so flat after that. :oops: