Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down??? >

Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down???

Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down???

Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Check to make sure your frame is absolutely square. Also, when you baste your sides, don’t baste downward. Baste Upwards.
Wow! I learned something. I always baste downwards. I'll start basting upwards and see what that does. Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-18-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit quote only to match that edit
Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
In addition to square, lso verify that you are level. I found I needed a big 3-4 foot long level to find the dip in the floor at my friend's house. In that case it was the front center support that was low, the outer corners were just fine. My friend is tall and the adjustable feet were already out a bit, but the right piece of cardboard did the trick.

So does the machine drift on it's own anywhere -- like if you put it in the middle with no fabric on the frame does it move at all? My guess is it would go the same way as your issue.
Thanks, I think my machine stays where I leave it, but when I get the quilt off tomorrow, I will put a level on it just to be sure!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 PM

Reading this thread with interest!

Cindi -(or anyone else for that matter!) - Could you please explain the basting Upwards? Why does it matter? I'm going to give it a try, but I like to understand the why part of it....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-20-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-17-2019, 07:49 PM

basting the the sides upward! wow! hadn't ever thought of that but it sure makes some sense. One thing I've made myself do even though it takes 2 seconds longer! is when I get to the bottom, I bastes the sides down straight and then baste the bottom from the middle out both directions--seems to keep those weird too long points from happening on the bottom corners.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
Reading this thread with interest!

Cindi -(or anyone else for that matter!) - Could you please explain the basting Upwards? Why does it matter? I'm going to give it a try, but I like to understand the why part of it....
When you baste downwards, it will incrementally and minutely shift your fabric down on the sides, which can lead to the ends being longer than the center. When you baste upwards, that fabric stays put right where it is, meeting up with the previous basting as you advance the quilt - which should be square if you’ve lined it up correctly.

I also use a shock cord and toggle clips on my longarm. I like this better than the long pink Colonial longarm centering tape that I used to use, because it stays put as you advance, and those little sharp pink slide markers don’t get caught in my fabric (those toggle clips won’t budge!). It stays absolutely straight, and I know that my quilt is lined up perfectly. Here’s a pic of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 68ef6366-3f18-43ec-9fe7-68eff5880939.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 AM

I like that shock cord and clips! That would be much easier than measuring with every advance, just move the clips to the correct spot and it won't change.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I like that shock cord and clips! That would be much easier than measuring with every advance, just move the clips to the correct spot and it won't change.
If you’ve got your quilt straight and square, you should never have to move the clips. Just adjust the fabric slightly to line it up.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 AM

This has been an informative thread post...I baste my sides upwards. I’ve only done about six quilts on my new LA but have not had any wonky experiences (yet), however, I will be anxious to try QuiltingShortimer’s trick of basting the bottom out to each side from the middle.

MacyBaby, can I ask why you pin down your sides rather than basting? That has my curiosity.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 AM

This has been great as I have the same problem--I'm not alone. I really just keep an eye on my sides as I roll and make small adjustments. You are right the bigger quilts are the hardest to control--baby size don't bother me much. Maybe part of it is the weight on larger quilts and how they gather up on the back roller!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 AM

Cindi, can you share where you found the bungee cord setup ... or did you make it yourself? Looks really useful.

BTW, I checked out your blog and I love your cutting table! I've seen that design with the Ikea sections before, but your version is really nice . Cup holders and trash bin built in: genius!