Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down??? >

Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down???

Why Does My Longarm Machine Shift to the Right and Down???

Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 AM

I quilt on an Innova with IQ. When I'm doing a panto I put on my "bowl foot". Since I've been using that with pantographs I have no shifting at all. The foot glides over everything. I think my regular foot had a tendency to sort of "push" stuff along if it encountered any sort of bump (seams...). I LOVE this foot!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 AM

jmoore - mostly I don't baste because it gives me grief when I go to sew on the binding. I sew all my bindings by machine and find it lays nicer for me if I don't have a line of stitching in the seam allowance.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 AM

I am a Handi Quilter educator and I have that happen as well. You are doing everything right. I also add a centering tape on my idler bar so I'm sure my sides stay straight. When I do an edge to edge I go off my quilt about 1-2". Very often I will use drag and drop from a spot in the center and adjust accordingly.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
The leaders become crooked as they are used and rolled back and forth, so this isn't an issue.
This is an issue. That is why you need to resquare them up or replace them periodically. Working with crooked leaders can definitely cause issues. I know of several professional longarmers that re-square them up periodically by stitching them together (while still on the rack) and spray starching and steaming them to get them back into square and letting them dry. This will only work a few times before they eventually need to be replaced.

There was an excellent post about just this issue on the MQR forum recently but I believe posting a link to that posting is against QB rules.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
Cindi, can you share where you found the bungee cord setup ... or did you make it yourself? Looks really useful.

BTW, I checked out your blog and I love your cutting table! I've seen that design with the Ikea sections before, but your version is really nice . Cup holders and trash bin built in: genius!
Awww, thank you! I love my cutting table, for sure. I made the cord setup myself. You can either use 1/4” bungee cord or non-stretchy cord. I prefer the non-stretchy, and picked it up at Home Depot. Ordered a package of 20 toggle locks from Amazon. Twenty clips was the perfect number for me.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
jmoore - mostly I don't baste because it gives me grief when I go to sew on the binding. I sew all my bindings by machine and find it lays nicer for me if I don't have a line of stitching in the seam allowance.
thanks Cathy...I knew there was a logical reason behind your pinning versus basting. I’m going to give it a try on one of my next crib quilts. I usually sew the bindings on them as they get washed more often.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 AM

Thank you all! I did most everything everyone told me. I measured with a level. It was level. I measured and re-did my leaders. I basted upwards. Everything came out perfectly! I'm hoping it will stay that way when I put a queen quilt on the frame! Someone mentioned bowl foot - I use the HQ glide foot, which I really like.

Cindi - The shock cord and toggle clips are just to keep it straight, right? They do not replace the side clips that keep the quilt taunt, right? Also, would you only use this set up on a floating quilt? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by plays10s View Post
Thank you all! I did most everything everyone told me. I measured with a level. It was level. I measured and re-did my leaders. I basted upwards. Everything came out perfectly! I'm hoping it will stay that way when I put a queen quilt on the frame! Someone mentioned bowl foot - I use the HQ glide foot, which I really like.

Cindi - The shock cord and toggle clips are just to keep it straight, right? They do not replace the side clips that keep the quilt taunt, right? Also, would you only use this set up on a floating quilt? Thanks!
Yay! Glad to turned out well! Yes, the shock cord helps keep everything straight. No, it’s not just for floating quilts. Anyone can use it.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
Cindi, did you set this up yourself i.e. it's not a commercial product you bought? What frame are you quilting on?
Yes, set this up myself. If you look a little further up the post, I give the info on what is needed to do it. I quilt on an Innova, but it can be done on any frame.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Cindi - Love the set up you use! How did you attach the bungee cord to the side arms of the frame?