Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why does a thread in the fabric get pulled? >

Why does a thread in the fabric get pulled?

Why does a thread in the fabric get pulled?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM

I do agree that changing the needle often is very important. While I do not change needles with every project, I can usually tell the needle needs changing when I hear a difference in the way it sounds as it stitches. My DD just gave me a couple of Schmetz Microtex needles to try. It will be interesting to see if they stay sharper longer.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
It's funny when I first started sewing no one ever said how often to change the needle - I used to think it was when it broke! When I started quilting someone told me to change it with each project but since I never work on just one project I usually change it once or twice a month depending on how much I am sewing. What a difference! It is probably the cheapest thing we can do in quilting and the one we do least often - with the exception of changing our rotary blades.

Great points! I don't know many quilters who work on just one project at a time, so that tip is out the window. I don't sew consistent lengths of time every day either, so it's hard to keep track of hours. So, I have always listened for a popping sound as the needle goes through the fabric. When I start to hear that, then I change the needle as it is dull. I've never had the thread pulled, but it does sound like you're just needing to change the needle.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM

I did change the needle and it was as if I was sewing with a totally different machine. Smooth and quiet. Now I have to change my rotary blade, again.

thanks for yall's help!