Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why the high cost for cotton quilting fabric? >

Why the high cost for cotton quilting fabric?

Why the high cost for cotton quilting fabric?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I have often wondered what would happen if every quilter/sewer quit buying fabric for one week to protest the high cost of fabric. Would it make any difference? If we are willing to pay the high cost of fabric, then maybe we should try to do something about it. I refuse to pay $12.99 a yard at the local quilt shop.
Not to complain although it really looks like I am. Fabric here in Canada in some quilt shops is 16.99 and I even noticed some at 17.99. If I were you, I would buy what I could to bring back home. It is strange in the dollar stores that products from the far east are so reasonable, how come fabric is so marked up in U.S. and Canada. Too many hands on it before we buy?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Many quilt shops closed because people can't or some won't pay bloated prices. Don't believe me...look how we flock to a good sale...favorite quilt shops left in the exhaust of our cars as we are taking off. it's something my Grandparents knew in their country store. They charged a SMALL percentage over the cost of lunchmeat. My grandparents sold more lunchmeat at lower prices = more people... than the in town deli owners ever dreamed of. The new deli changed hands repeatedly. My grands got old in their country store and retired with the money they made by not price gouging their neighbors. Its really simple but people like to project what they could make...not what they will make when they price gouge...Especially since its a pleasure craft now, not a necessity anymore. Jenny Doan figured it out; it made her a quilting household name. 1000's of bolts has the right idea too. lower prices = more customers. The more you sell, the more you make, just like Gramps did.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up

I agree with you LynnG, the better price will draw in customers. I have found locally a large Canada wide fabric chain store closed leaving one quilt store. I have noticed that the prices in the local quilt shop are quite a bit higher than they were. Now I do know that shipping has risen for them with the cost of gas, but aside from the fact that it is a dealer for my machine there is little incentive for me to go to purchase fabric. I know everyone has to live, but gauging(sp?) is not right, but it is the way of the world anymore. Now a quilt shop a little further, has nice fabric and it is a decent price. They have discounted fabrics, that can be saved on. So that is where I have found myself a lot. Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
While I agree that much of the reason for the high cost of fabric in Europe, Australia & the US is overhead and wage costs, there is something else driving up the prices of not just fabric, but everything else, too (Been to the grocery store? You know what I'm talking about!). Since the economic collapse of 2008, the US has been printing dollars. This was intended to stimulate the economy, but as a consequence has devalued the dollar. Each dollar now buys less, and will continue to buy less as we are still printing several billion dollars of fiat money every month. Other western nations have been forced to react in similar fashion. As the US dollar is worth less, their exports become more expensive compared to American exports. It's very complicated, but the Federal Reserve's manipulation of the money supply is a large part of why prices are going up all over the place. Don't look for prices to fall in any category. Inflation will at some point kick in, and it will only get worse when it does.
MaryA, I agree with you - the prices are not bloated, the dollar is deflated. If this keeps on it will take a wheelbarrow of money to purchase a yard of fabric because our dollar is worth less and less.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Administrator

it is hereby declared that we all wish we could get our favorite fabrics for less than we pay now.
end of discussion.