Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
this is why I don't order fabric online.... >

this is why I don't order fabric online....

this is why I don't order fabric online....

Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM

I buy fabric from lots of online & bricks & mortar stores in America because even allowing for postage it cost me about 1/3 of the cost I'd have to pay here in Australia. I've dealt with the shop you mention and have never had a problem.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM

I have purchased two jelly rolls of the Kona Snow from my LQS, and it is definitely not yellow. It is more of a cream white, rather than a white white, which I find too harsh for my taste.

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
I feel your pain, I wanted some white background fabric and found an excellent deal on Kona solids. I ordered 6 yards of "snow" thinking it would be white white but when I received it discovered it was yellow. I called the vendor who confirmed I got what I ordered. Hmmm, around my house in Michigan the only yellow snow we have is after I let the dogs out! It looked white on my computer and I have discovered most colors are more vibrant when I receive them compared to the computer picture and my computer is only 2 yrs. old.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 AM

In your first post you said you ordered 2.5 yards. In this post you say $35. $35 for 2.5 yards? That's $14 per yard.

Originally Posted by RyanAmysMom View Post
I know I can expect the VERY BEST service from the FQS.... I am just really frustrated right now... I ordered the Lakehouse frosted dot fabric - It's darling! And the selvage I had from my previous order was LH03035 - but I didn't know it came in both white on white or Champagne.... I'm sure I can use the fabric I got for another project - I just didn't have $35 extra to spend right now.... just frustrated... it was definitely NOT THEIR FAULT.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Well, I learned something on this thread. Thanks for posting!
Me too!! This board is amazing!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
You bring up an interesting point - one that a lot of quilters don't know about, so I'll mention it here.

The product number printed on the selvedge is the PRINT identifier. Many if not most prints come in multiple colors.

So in order to correctly match a fabric, you need both the PRINT identifier AND the COLOR code. The color code is rarely, if ever printed on the selvedge.

Color codes vary between makers, but they often, if not almost always, follow the Print identifier, after a dash or something, on online website product descriptions. So, for instance, a fabric with the print number 12345 might be printed in three colors, say codes -01 -02 and -03. In this case, the full product number would be 12345-01, etc. with 01, 02, 03 being different colors.

Some manufacturers just put a color name after the fabric number. Lakehouse does this a lot. So the fabric you wanted might have been LH3035-White and what you got was LH3035-Champagne, or something like that.

So, when you are trying to match fabric, always try to get both the print number and the color code. If you do, you'll probably get what you're looking for.

And if in doubt, ask for a sample! :-)
I had this very discussion just this week with my Mom who's been quilting for probably close to 55-60 years. She had looked at the print number thinking it was the colorway. Then we had the little 'colored dot' discussion. She was so very appreciative. I love having her as one of my quilting buddies and sharing quilting 'stuff' with her
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Oh no, so sorry!!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

What I don't like is ordering 2.75 yds. on the screen and getting 22 units, which a unit is 1/4 yd. No where on the site does it say that. So instead of getting two backing with two selections I probably have 6 backings of two colors. Off white background is a medium tan. I think I am done ordering on line.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM

I agree. They are usually okay to work with.
Originally Posted by rufree4t View Post
Did you check the item numbers you ordered against what you received. If it is not the same the store should send you the right piece at no extra cost. The may even let you keep the piece you received or pay the postage to return it.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I have purchased two jelly rolls of the Kona Snow from my LQS, and it is definitely not yellow. It is more of a cream white, rather than a white white, which I find too harsh for my taste.
I agree with this. I've bought two bolts of Kona Snow from the Hancock of Paducah, and the fabric is a warm white rather than stark white. Something must have been mislabeled on Fire Chief's order.

Daffy
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM

The only place I know of that will let you return cut yardage that you ordered in the wrong color is Keepsake Quilting. They have a 'no quibble' guarantee. You can return anything, for any reason, at any time, no questions asked. If Fat Quarter Shop does the same in this case, I would be surprised...and grateful...if I were the OP.