Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why miter the borders?

I like how mitered borders look, but by the time I get to the borders, I am anxious to finish the quilt. And since I don't usually miter, it takes me longer.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the pattern. I have mitered some, and gone straight on others. To me, using a mitered border is not wasteful because the leftovers go into the scrap bin for another day.

Banned
    I have done both, but I prefer NOT to miter! Depends on the quilt, I guess.

Blog Entries
    It's a personal choice. I like the look especially if the fabric has a directional design.
    What I do if there are more than 1 border is sew all the borders together as they will appear on the quilt. Then I sew them to the quilt and miter them all as a group instead of doing one border at a time. That way the angle is consistent through all the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    LOL....Heck....I don't even know what a mitered corner is! :D
    It is a method to finish the corners of your quilt. If you want more information, am sure there are a ton of websites with a tute.

P.S. Have never done it. By the time I get to the borders am "done"! :-)

I only mitre my borders if that will add to the overall design, or if butting the borders would detract from it.

Lately, I've gotten into assymetrical borders - two sides larger than the other two, or um, I don't know what to call this exactly, revolving? borders maybe? These are constructed like a log cabin.

I always mitre mine, it makes it easier for me since I usually have a dead line. But it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you are happy with the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    It's a personal choice. I like the look especially if the fabric has a directional design.
    What I do if there are more than 1 border is sew all the borders together as they will appear on the quilt. Then I sew them to the quilt and miter them all as a group instead of doing one border at a time. That way the angle is consistent through all the borders.
    Great idea! I will be trying this out in the near future. I've got a quilt with a striped border of safari animals. I was wondering about the inner border. Now I know how to handle it. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquilt
    Lately, I've gotten into assymetrical borders - two sides larger than the other two, or um, I don't know what to call this exactly, revolving? borders maybe? These are constructed like a log cabin.
    I do that too!

You can miter a corner! There's a tutorial that might help you. Try it with scraps on a non-quilt first so you get the hang of it.

http://blog.caronmosey.com/2009/12/t...er-corner.html

Thank goodness for that because I can not get it into my thick head how to mitre.
    I am dyslexic and my brain just goes into a flux.
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    LOL....Heck....I don't even know what a mitered corner is! :D
    It is a method to finish the corners of your quilt. If you want more information, am sure there are a ton of websites with a tute.

P.S. Have never done it. By the time I get to the borders am "done"! :-)
    Theresa....I'm with you!! Loved your answer. I have never mitered the corners, and even was taught to add the borders on the long side first and then the top to save fabric.

Depends on the fabric design, quilt pattern, overall look.

I really love to miter corners. It is an accomplishment for me especially when the corners all turn out smooth!

I have never mitered a border. But, I can see that with certain border prints/stripes it would look better, and if I were using such a print, I would learn it! I save all my scraps, so to me it wouldn't be such a waste.

I usually don't miter, but some border fabrics just call to be mitered. Once you get the technique down it's not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I dont miter my borders becuse it overwhelms me I just cant figure out how
    Here is the best, simplest explanation I've seen for how to do mitered corners. I love it. :-)

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4q...ut=list&num=50

I've mitered everything for so long I don't remember how to put on a border without mitering. Guess I might have to look that up!

Blog Entries
    Can you imagine a picture frame not having mitered corners? A border frames the quilt. I fold and glue my miters then sew the seam. If I have more then one border I sew all the borders together and then miter them all at one time.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    I don't like mitering. I try and make most of my quilts with the backs a few inches larger than the front so I have a built in binding. Does anyone else do this? Easiest way possible and the people I make quilts for wouldn't know the difference anyway.
    I do this and I have found a way to make the front look like it has been mitered.

Remember, a quilt does not have to have mitered corners to be beautiful.

I miter IF I'm using a striped fabric. Occasionally otherwise, like if the quilt has a strong diagonal thing going on. If everyone always mitered, corner stones wouldn't exist. That would be a bad thing. I like squareness most of the time. The quilt will tell you how to go. And if you try mitering with striped fabric - you will find that it really isn't that hard to do.

My borders, I do not. My binding I do (I turn over the backing as my binding.).

I don't know how to attach binding without mitering, could someone please post a photo of an unmitered binding? I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Thank-you.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    I don't know how to attach binding without mitering, could someone please post a photo of an unmitered binding? I can't seem to picture it in my mind. Thank-you.

T.
    Borders and binding are two different things. I rarely miter borders and always miter bindings.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast