Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not use sheets for quilt backs? >

Why not use sheets for quilt backs?

Why not use sheets for quilt backs?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Many of my customers like to use them.

When I first started LA quilting, I was advised not to use sheets (shrugs). Without really knowing why, I use to say no sheets. Over the years I got braver & found there's no issue using sheets from the LA stand point (as long as it's been squared up lol)

I get all kinds of stuff. So far the most chllenging to work with has been pieced jeans (w/manufacturer seams still included) and minky (it's very stretchy). But most things are possible w/extra time and care. Of course if it takes extra time & care, it would stand to reason you may be charged more :)
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

low quality, loose weave sheets will (pill) get the little bumps all over them after a few washes, so just like any other fabric, you do not want to skimp on quality for the backing any more than for the front. always use the best quality materials you can afford. I would bet money once a quilt is quilted and bound no one is going to know you used a sheet instead of just a wide fabric unless you tell on yourself.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 AM

I have done many quilts, hand quilted, with sheets as the back. I pre-wash them, but had no problem hand quilting them out. I always go with a thread count of 250 or more.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 AM

I just love you all! I try to stop by every day but sometimes I'm too busy quilting. he he
I found some 100% cotton king size on sale and got five of them. I wish I had got the black ones also. $9 for a sheet is so much better than by the yard fabric I have to piece to use and they do fine on my machine.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 AM

I just love you all! I try to stop by every day but sometimes I'm too busy quilting. he he
I found some 100% cotton king size on sale and got five of them. I wish I had got the black ones also. $9 for a sheet is so much better than by the yard fabric I have to and they do fine on my machine.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM

I love using sheets.I love also that you don't have to piece them like you do fabric. Alot less expensive than fabric too.Sent my quilt out to have it done and had no complaints at all.It turned out really nice.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 AM

I love using sheets.I love also that you don't have to piece them like you do fabric. Alot less expensive than fabric too.Sent my quilt out to have it done and had no complaints at all.It turned out really nice.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Since I first posted about using bed sheets for quilt backing I have used high thread count bed sheets and instead of using regular needles and quilting needles I have been using beading needles and it works great. Cut the thread on an angle and use a tweezer to pull the thread thru the eye of the needle.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info on Walmarts. That's where I'll go to get some flannel topsheets for my free-motion quilting class.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
We use sheets all the time for our Guild's Community Quilts and they are absolutely fine for machine quilting. Our LQS has a mid arm machine set-up and we quilt 3 or 4 there every month. We also ignore the quilt police and trim the backing to 1 1/4" after quilting and turn it to the front and top stitch it for binding. This works well for us and produces a hard wearing quilt that is able to withstand frequent washings at some of the shelters where our quilts are donated. I often use these methods on kid quilts and college bound quilts and sheets work out very well.
Several years ago I bought two twin quilts from a Mennonite retirement home in Oregon. They were backed and finished in the way you described, then tied. I had them for when my grandchildren visited, used them myself when the kids weren't around and eventually gave them to the kids when they moved to NM. They are wonderful, easy to wash, and are holding up very well. I love them.