Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not to wash top before quilting. >

Why not to wash top before quilting.

Why not to wash top before quilting.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

I did the same to a top that rested in my MIL's cedar chest for a gazillion years. Let's just say that I would not have worked on it the way it was. I was super careful soaking it in the tub with oxyclean. I rinsed it carefully never agitating, and in the end, mine looks every bit as bad as yours. I don't even want to think about pressing all those seams. SIGH!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 PM

Yikes!!!! Never occurred to me to wash the top before quilting it! So glad you've shared your wisdom!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I did the same to a top that rested in my MIL's cedar chest for a gazillion years. Let's just say that I would not have worked on it the way it was. I was super careful soaking it in the tub with oxyclean. I rinsed it carefully never agitating, and in the end, mine looks every bit as bad as yours. I don't even want to think about pressing all those seams. SIGH!
You can see I trimmed most of the strings off. I have now got it on the quilting frame and have started the quilting process. It isn't going to be a masterpiece as far as the quilting goes, but it will hold the layers together so someone will have an utility quilt for a while, and have something form Mom, grandmother, great-grandmother according who wins the quilt in the drawing I will have.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I have put a top in a pillow case before washing it and it seems to keep the fraying down.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 AM

When I buy over 1 yard of fabric, I wash it in the machine and depending on the season I either hang it outside or run it through the dryer. When it goes through the dryer there are some frays. I get out my handy dandy iron and scissors and I clip off the loose "hairs" when I am ironing, fold it such that loose ends are folded to be covered. When I am going to use the fabric, I iron the creases out again and away I go. Small pieces like fat quarters, no, I do not wash them. I have never had anything fray on me after it was sewed together. I have (excuse me and I am not sorry to say, never come across a smelly piece of fabric. Some were my mom's, some I bought by the bag at our local craft store and I don't know where they have been, but I cut and sew them anyhow and when it is done and ready I wash it. I use my color catcher and I use a Mrs. Meyer's Lavender fabric sheets (they are expensive so I only use them on new quilts) and I have never had a problem.
To Barb - I would never wash a quilt top if it wasn't complete with batting, backing, binding, tying down or machine quilted. That's why all the fraying on the top part of the quilt.

I guess it is a matter of how we are all taught, by classes, by grandmas, by mothers. It is an individual thing I guess. But I can surely see the fraying with 1/4" of hem. I wouldn't take a chance with that kind of a treasure. I'd rather do the whole thing and get it completed and then wash it. If it doesn't work out, it can be used for one thing or another.

But I am glad you kept it. A mother's work is priceless. Edie
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Oh gosh! Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

thanks for showing your experience
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM

I tell my customers to let me quilt the quilt before they wash them. Some can smell a bit...but the fabric on really old quilts is very delicate.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Oh my, a good lesson not to wash a quilt to before quilting. What a lot of extra work for you. Some of those older fabrics really did tend to ravel a lot, as your picture shows.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 PM

I'm so glad that you posted a picture we can all learn from this I know I am the world worst about trying to figure out if I should wash or not wash the fabric and here is a perfect example.