Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not to wash top before quilting. >

Why not to wash top before quilting.

Why not to wash top before quilting.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I read in message asking if they should wash a quilt top before quilting because of stains, etc. Thought I would show why you shouldn't do that.
My aunt gave me this top that my mother had made back in the 50's or 60's. I could tell it had been was wash because there edges were frayed. Anyway, I bought some pretty blue, lavender and white fabric for a backing and was going to quilt this to give away to one of my family members in a drawing.
When I washed the backing I decide to wash the quilt top because it had been laying around for so many years.
Lots of strings matted in with the triangle point making pretty good size knots that would surely break a needle.

Spent a little while cleaning up the seams before ironing the top and getting it ready to quilt.
I can't help thinking of all those now weaker seams because of all the fabric knotted on the floor.....yikes!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM

I did this to a red/white quilt that had lots of applique on it and the same thing happened. Still am not quite sure what to do with it. Looks like you are on the way to getting yours done.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 View Post
I did this to a red/white quilt that had lots of applique on it and the same thing happened. Still am not quite sure what to do with it. Looks like you are on the way to getting yours done.
Trim it up and quilt it.
I started quilting last night. Just trying to keep out of the corners of the triangles where there were a lot of tangles.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

Wonder if the top was really in a bad way if tacking it to a piece of sheeting would make a difference. Still a lot of work any which way.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I have only used new, pre washed fabrics for all my quilts.
I haven't had any older quilts given to me nor seen any for sale. I would quilt them and then wash them. I would completely wash my hands after working on it. I'm a clean freak also, but sometimes you just have to get over it.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I watched a friend of mine quilt a top for someone else that had been washed and it was horrendous. I would have given it back to her and refused to quilt it. My friend struggled with it for days then ended up ripping out the quilting and doing it over (she's not a perfectionist). It still looked bad.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Barb, those photos say it all!

Has anyone thought to take the time to hand baste a cotton piece on the back for a temporary batting and hand-baste-quilt it at lines every few inches before washing it in the machine? It occurs to me that the fraying is from rubbing, but if it were protected by the temporary backing it might work out fine.
??? I'd try it but I don't have any UFO to work with
Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM

I could have done that, but the quilt top had been wash and time or two before I got it. I just wanted to be clean like my backing and batting so washed it again knowing I would have a mess when I took it out of the washer.

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Barb, those photos say it all!

Has anyone thought to take the time to hand baste a cotton piece on the back for a temporary batting and hand-baste-quilt it at lines every few inches before washing it in the machine? It occurs to me that the fraying is from rubbing, but if it were protected by the temporary backing it might work out fine.
??? I'd try it but I don't have any UFO to work with