Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Why is paper piecing so hard for me?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Have you googled Carol Doak - I think she has the best paper piecing info out there. she also has a video that you can purchase. I had paper pieced quite a bit before I got that and it still really helped me. I believe that there are also some free tutes from her
    I agree. I bought one of her books and learned her way and once I got the hang of it, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is making sure you cut your pieces large enough -- and your mind accepting the idea that you're working the piece backwards. I got the 300 paper piece blocks by Carol and it just clicked. Don't give up....it's a lot of fun.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

You are not the only one!!!! I love the look of paper pieceing, but the details absolutely will not compute in my mind. I have taken classes and had a great pper try to help me, but still no go. I have another pp pattern at the house which I would love to do, but I would have to use scraps because I"m not going to ruin another expesive batch of fabric trying to learn the technique. Maybe it will come to me in a dream or a miracle.....

I've never tried paper piecing, but it looks and sounds complicated. I'm left handed and not sure thinking backwards would work for me. However, after I have finished all my bucket list quilts pieced the traditional way, I may give it a whorl. The paper pieced quilts are certainly beautiful, so I'll never say never.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Paper piecing is easy. It's not backwards at all. You still sew two pieces of fabric right sides together. The only difference from regular piecing is there's a piece of paper over the seam.

Blog Entries
    I felt the same way so when the PP class came up on Crafty, I took it. After that I wondered why I had had a problem. The teacher makes it look very easy. I haven't actually tried it yet.

I allways cut my fabric bigger then I need just in case I make a mistake or place it on the wrong way. I allso sew with smaller stitches so the stitches do not pull apart when I take the paper off.I have been paper pieceing for many years. I agree Carol Doak is great on PP I belong top her group too.
    Carol in Delaware
    I don't have UFO's I have PhD's. (Projects half Done). and I'll be so smart when I finish working on my PhD's.
    Happy Quilting,
    Carol in De;laware

Blog Entries
    Learning to pp and need all the help I can get. I must be doing it backwards. Do you sew the material on the front or back?

I HEAR you, I still can't seem to master the PP
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I need to jump in and try it as well.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    I agree. I bought one of her books and learned her way and once I got the hang of it, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is making sure you cut your pieces large enough -- and your mind accepting the idea that you're working the piece backwards. I got the 300 paper piece blocks by Carol and it just clicked. Don't give up....it's a lot of fun.
    I have that book and use it a lot, I love the way you can change the block sizes althought I must admit not to worry about her cutting of the fabric sizes as I cut them larger as I use ALL my trimmings for one thing or another.

I print the pattern on tracing paper which really helps, but my biggest issue is that you waste so much fabric!
    Last edited by Shrink42020; 08-28-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Sondra

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3