Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric? >

Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric?

Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I backed a quilt with satin for my DD. I used wool batting and the top was pieced cotton. That quilt was the easiest to FMQ on my machine, no drag at all.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
alternate opinion alert. I *know* I *should* prewash flannel. I don't. I don't prewash anything. I just washed a quilt that was flannel on the back and it came out fine. No bleeding, no excessive shrinkage. And you can mix fabrics, most just don't. And mixing on the top is as okay as using a different fabric/fiber on teh back. Do what you like. That's the point of this hobby/avocation/passion. at least, IMHO
It's true that flannel can be fine without pre-washing as long as there is moderate quilting in the quilt. Quilting ties the layers together so that the batting controls the amount of shrinkage in a quilt. Most people do not realize that fabric can shrink differently when washed on its own versus washing in a well-quilted quilt. Distortion from different shrinkage rates of fabric can be a huge problem, however, if the quilting is far apart or if the quilt is tied.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I backed a quilt with satin for my DD. I used wool batting and the top was pieced cotton. That quilt was the easiest to FMQ on my machine, no drag at all.
With satin against your tabletop, there sure shouldn't have been any drag!!
You must have been .......... slip slidin' awaaaaaaaaay!!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Just a hint for washing a "mixed" fabric quilt. Put it in a mesh laundry bag (so if something comes loose, it doesn't get loose in the washer itself) Use a large washer at the laundermat that doesn't have a center adgitator. The rolling action of the industrial machines is easier on fabric than a machine with the thingie in the middle
Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 AM

I think it's only really important to use material with similar qualities in a quilt top. As long as they're all going to behave the same way, you can use anything. I made a queen size from slinky synthetics and backed it with fun fur. It turned out fine.
MaryKatherine
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM

Most flannel I have seen is 100% cotton. Make SURE you pre wash - If any red is in the design, wash it separately. Flannel fabric is more dense and will hold more dye. As a hand dyer, I understand how flannel can shrink significantly as well as commercial flannels that will bleed. They are soft and I do love them.

About "use 100% cotton" - I would say that is preferable. Your Aunt was most likely referring to a larger design - say 5" squares...if some are cotton and some are a poly blend, as the quilt is used, washed etc. there will be shrinkage issues. However, as an Art Quilter, I have used small pieces from sheers to upholstery fabric, but with interfacing etc.

Good to note that when piecing cotton fabrics, you DO want cotton thread...not embroidery thread (too thin and will stretch with the weight of the quilt) and not poly or poly content ...too "tough" compared to cotton and it will shred the cotton fabric over time.

Good luck with the quilt

Also,

Last edited by Johanna Fritz; 02-27-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM

There is no problem with using flannel for the back as long as you wash it first. Some flannels shrink more than others.the thing to beware of is not mixing synthetics with cotton on the top or backing.The synthetic will as time goes on cut the cotton it is sewn next to.They showed this many years ago on a documentary.and I had it happen on an old quilt a neighbor made for me.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Flannel is wonderful to use in quilting. It can be a bit challenging to handquilt but there is no reason not to use it. I have backed many a quilt in flannel and I am currently working on a quilt that is almost all flannel, top and back.

I prefer to use 100% cotton fabric (of which most flannels are anyway) because it is nice to work with and it holds a crease from pressing and can withstand high heat from the iron. Blends and polys do not take a crease as nicely and I have had some get a "glaze" on them from the high heat of the iron. You can use whatever you like in your quilt. Experience will tell you what you will like or dislike working with as far as fiber content.

For me, I prefer 100% cotton.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM

I have used flannel on several quilts and have had no problems. Like others said, just per-shrink .
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM

Confession time....i am one of the quilting sinners who uses whatever fabric strikes my fancy. I combine cottons with polyester blends and have had zero problems with weird shrinking or whatever. I have also found out that after a few washings the polyester/cotton stuff softens just like cotton. I am a recycler and use my husbands old shirts, my blouses, skirts, or whatever I have.