Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric? >

Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric?

Why is it recommended to only use 100% cotton fabric?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

The reason why you wouldn't use flannel is because it wears faster than regular cotton. You can use flannel. For little children's quilts, it doesn't matter. It's not a lot of fabric and they aren't going to keep the quilt more than 8 years. I wouldn't do a lot of fancy quilting on it, but it looks great. If you want it as a keeper quilt, make a larger quilt, then tie the quilt instead of quilting it. That way, when the flannel wears out, you can cut the ties, cut the binding (or unsew it - use big stitches) and replace it.

I have no problem with quilting a kids' quilt with flannel on the back. I use it to practice new quilting styles. Few blankets are kept 'forever'.

I have quilted several adult quilts with flannel on the back. I don't use small, fancy designs. They are large meanders or patterns.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM

It is your quilt and you can use ant kind of fabric you want to. I made a quilt with flannel on the top and also a flannel back for a granddaughter and her husband one year for Christmas and they loved it and the quilt police didn't say anything. Just enjoy making it for her.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM

i mix textiles a lot. i have used challis on the back of a quilt that gave it a designer touch, i have used wool blends, silky cottons, etc. testing fabrics ahead if you do not understand the properties of them is probably best. i have been sewing many years so i am famililar with properties of many fabrics expecially the ones in my possesion.

the flannels in my stash were higher end flannels that i bought many years ago and none of the quilts i used them in had any significant shrinkage. the flannels i have purchased in recent years i preshrink because there is so much shedding and shrinkage that occurs when washed.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Go ahead and use cotton flannel. Make sure to wash & dry it twice before you use iit. It will shrink some the first wash and more the second wash. I found an adorable childs quilt in a thrift store, flannel backed. The flannel had not been pre-washed and shrunk so much that the quilt top was like a bowl.

I've also used a very light weight pellon iron on facing on flannel to stablize it and help it keep it's shape. Seems to have worked so far.