Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why so many UFOs? >

Why so many UFOs?

Why so many UFOs?

Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 AM

I think we need a t-shirt that will identify some of us that have "squirrel quilting syndrome"
Old 01-08-2021, 04:35 AM

With me it’s th excitement to seeing a new pattern and or finding fabric I just love that fits a certain pattern I like and the excitement is such that I will pick up everything and put it away and then start the new quilt. One really important thing I have learned is to put the pattern in with it cause when I get to the quilt I put away it like my brain left and what pattern was this. With this being a new year I’m trying to quilt at least a quilt I have finished at least one or two a week I just finished three baby quilts as I was testing my new machine before going to customer quilts trying to learn the new features on my new machine. Some days my brain feels fried. Today is a new day and will continue working on a top I started in December. And put on a new top to quilt.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I am the oddball quilter. I don’t have much of a stash. I finish everything because I don’t start very many things. Future projects live in my head. I like all parts of the process. I don’t usually design my own quilts. My favorite part is the part I am weakest in - free motion quilting. I quilt for my own pleasure. I have made quilts for a few people that appreciate them. I have only made one quilt since august 2019 and that was for my son as we nursed him through his cancer battle which he lost on November 6th. He wanted that quilt. It makes me sad to look at it. I have something under my needle right now but am not very motivated. But, I know I will finish it.
I’m so sorry for your loss...I can certainly understand why it would be difficult to find motivation.

I am an oddball too with a very small stash (which I keep tamed on purpose) and I don’t have any UFOs. I don’t make as many quilts as most are able to accomplish but I do put a lot of thought into the projects I choose and finish them. I try to have only two projects going at a time but I am going to add a third ...a t-shirt quilt for a dear friend who just lost her 36 year old son on Saturday.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:15 AM

I don't have any UFOs either, I get super stressed out when I leave something unfinished.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 PM

I pick #1 and #3 but probably all of the above pertains to me too
Old 01-09-2021, 03:42 AM

Default Why so many UFOs

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't have any UFOS. I have containers to store finished quilts, not unfinished ones.

I like all aspects of quilt making including sandwiching them.
Quickly, as someone who likes making the sandwich, please share your method. Maybe I hate that aspect of quilt making just because I haven't discovered the best method yet.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:09 AM

What a great read this thread is.
I grabbed my coffee this AM and headed to my studio
Grabbed my phone on the way. Planned a manicure this AM, and to read the board while my nails are under the light.
I too can so relate to so much being said here. I have said before, I don't really have many UFO's, and that is still true, but..... I force myself to finish a project before starting another one...... Usually. Well, last winter I made several tops with the intentions of putting them on my mid arm this summer, which never happened.🤪 So now I have a "small" tote with UFO'S in it, and here we are half way through January.... I have been very busy sewing and making items for my craft space, which I was barely able to keep up with, which makes me happy but did invoke anxiety in me. Now that Christmas is past, that will slow down, so time to get to the mid arm. But wait, got to get projects ready for next summer for the craft space. So here I go down the rabbit hole to UFOville.

Joe'smom, totally agree with you. Quilting a quilt on a domestic machine is very much physically had work, hence one of the many reasons why I purchased the mid arm. I just finished a full size commissioned quilt, and quilted it on my domestic machine because the backing was fleece, and it is to stretchy for me to look at on a mid arm and come out good. And it would not have fit on my 60" rollers. And my shoulders paid.

Dorismae and Conchalea, your both lucky. We all need friends and or daughters like you two. You both are lucky to have them in your lives.

Quiltwoman44, your a genius. Love that idea......🤔

So as I sit here reading through the thread surrounded by quilting projects doing my nails, and the UFO's tucked happily in their "small" bin, I can't help but think about the patriotic fabric I saw at Hobby Lobby just a few days ago Oh wait, squirrel 🐿️.
img_20210109_070323818.jpg

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 01-09-2021 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Fix wording
Old 01-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Quiltah Mama- can you tell me more about that gadget for your nails? I do mine all the time but not that way. I'm interested.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:47 AM

Squirrel Syndrome here. And I'd rather quilt than piece, so all my UFOs are ones that are still in the needing piecing of blocks or assembling the top stage. Once I get the top done, I don't mind doing the sandwiching because I know that means I'll get to do the part that I find the most fun- FMQ!

Rob
Old 01-09-2021, 08:56 AM

I saw a FB post yesterday of a sign that said, “I have so many unfinished projects because I have a black belt in partial arts!”