Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why so many UFOs? >

Why so many UFOs?

Why so many UFOs?

Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaryRinWi View Post
I saw a FB post yesterday of a sign that said, “I have so many unfinished projects because I have a black belt in partial arts!”
I love this saying! I almost got sidetracked by a squirrel moment this morning. When a friend's daughter went through my stash in a trade, I saw some 6" blocks that have appliqued Scottie pictures. If I were going to my friend's house today, I would get black fabric from her to work on those Scotties. Good thing the weather is supposed to turn nasty so I'm staying home! I suppose that's a UFO I didnt count on Jan 1, since it slipped my mind...
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 AM

Mary, lol!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 12:52 PM

I have found my tribe! I have a few reasons why I don’t finish projects: most often, it’s just because I lost interest in the project; sometimes I run into a design problem that I don’t know how to resolve so I set the project aside until I can figure it out; also, I enjoy the planning, color and fabric selection and seeing the idea come to life much more than the tedious parts like cutting and basting; since I quilt on my regular machine, it is getting more difficult to wrangle the bulk of a large quilt now that I am getting older and have more physical challenges as well. Here’s hoping I can muster up the enthusiasm to complete a few UFOs this year!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:59 PM

SusieQ, it's a UV light for setting gel nails. I work in health care, hand sanitizer and lots of hand washing, which result in dey cracked and bleeding cuticles. I used to get manicures to combat this. Then Covid came along. I found my light on Amazon, along with the supplies, and voila, I am able to still get gel manicures, just at home now. You have to buy UV light polish. Regular polish doesn't last for me due to the hand sanitizer and washing, it would chip within a day, UV light gel last 2-3 weeks. It works for me, even doing my nails at home, no cracked bleeding cuticles.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info, QM!
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM

If you make tops you are a topper, if you quilt them you are a quilter.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:43 AM

Our guild sponsors classes which I love to attend. I start out enthusiastic and enjoy learning new techniques. After the class, I go home and sometimes my class project ends up in the closet. I have a Fall art quilt and 4 blocks for a quilt to name a few.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thrifty Magpie View Post
I have found my tribe! Here’s hoping I can muster up the enthusiasm to complete a few UFOs this year!
Magpie, I told you you would love it here...ther is also a 2021 UFO thread if you haven’t already discovered it. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
  1. Is it because we'd rather piece than quilt?
  2. Deciding how to quit it is difficult?
  3. Saving up to quilt by check or credit card?
  4. Enjoy the piecing better than quilting? (Oops...same as #1?)
  5. Not happy with finished pattern?
  6. Or all of the above?
For me it's all of the above.
Don't like making backs!
Old 01-11-2021, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I think some of the reason I have such a large amount of ufo's is because I forget about them. I forget to get a backing or a batting or just plain forget they are ready to be finished. During the summer my sewing room is hot and in the winter it is cold. I could go on all day with my excuses really. That is beside the fact I also don't have a maid, cook or a delivery person on hand to do all of those things for me.