WHY?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
Also our quilting stores here have to pay an 18% customs fee to them shipped here, that is why the tend to get marked up so high, which is crazy. :(
I agree with you, but that's their way of making more money. I have been to a store called Frank's Bargain Center in Claremont, New Hampshire where there is a policy that if you buy 100 or more yards the cost is $2.65/yard. There is no online store as of yet, but the fabric selection was terrific the last time I went.
The owner said that he ships lots of fabric to Australia and other countries. He said that some fabric in Australia was up to $26.00/yard for the same thing he sells for $2.65. He sends entire bolts at a time. Will look for his phone # for you.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Also our quilting stores here have to pay an 18% customs fee to them shipped here, that is why the tend to get marked up so high, which is crazy. :(
I agree with you, but that's their way of making more money. I have been to a store called Frank's Bargain Center in Claremont, New Hampshire where there is a policy that if you buy 100 or more yards the cost is $2.65/yard. There is no online store as of yet, but the fabric selection was terrific the last time I went.
The owner said that he ships lots of fabric to Australia and other countries. He said that some fabric in Australia was up to $26.00/yard for the same thing he sells for $2.65. He sends entire bolts at a time. Will look for his phone # for you.
Oh my goodness, that is amazing, lol! I would bu many bolts then. I wish they had a website. Are they hoping to get one? do you know? I wonder how expensive there shipping fees are. Do they have a huge selection? How do I see what the have? Thank you, Thank you oh so much! :) :)
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 AM

I have lived in many places in the US and what I have found is prices are tied to salary's.In Texas the house I bought was was $75,000,our Realtor in Colorado said it was a $225,000. house there and in Oregon it would have been closer to $400,000. With that said the salary went up from Texas,to Colorado to Oregon.Is this true in Canada,Australia ect.. Are the salary's higher there fore fabric,gas ect.. is higher?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
I have lived in many places in the US and what I have found is prices are tied to salary's.In Texas the house I bought was was $75,000,our Realtor in Colorado said it was a $225,000. house there and in Oregon it would have been closer to $400,000. With that said the salary went up from Texas,to Colorado to Oregon.Is this true in Canada,Australia ect.. Are the salary's higher there fore fabric,gas ect.. is higher?
Well our minimum wage I think is $8.00 now. Our gas is .94 Cents a L right now. Our utilities are very expensive last winter we were paying $600 a month, ouch. We are looking into building a house and it is $370 000 to build that includes our lot. If we were to build down in Lethbridge it would be half that, If we were to build in Edmonton it would be double that. So the closer we get to the US border the cheaper it is the further away the more expensive it gets. Your wage also changes where you are if you live somewhere very expensive you will make more. Does that make sence?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
It is beter to have it cut by the meter because we get extra here. :)
We pay twice as much for that meter so how is it better?
I have always thought more fabric is better! Love my scrap pile!
:-D
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Every child in the US is required to learn the metric system before graduating from High School because it is required for science classes. They start learning it in elementary school. Realistically the metric system makes a whole lot more sense.

The question WHY should be WHY are Americans so determined to be stuck in a system of measurement that is not used in most other countries? The scientific community agreed to only use the metric system long ago. American money is divisible by 10 but inches are by 8 and feet are by 12? No wonder our children fall behind in math after 4th grade. They are required to memorize doofy measurements. Ever wonder why we were required to memorize multiplication tables to 12?

I'm fortunate. Besides living overseas, my degrees are in chemistry and physics. I automatically convert in my head. We all do it without thinking. It just depends on what you are comfortable with using. There are 39.25 inches in a meter, 2.54 cm in an inch, etc. I find it easier to work totally in metric. 100 cm = 1m, 10 mm= 1 cm, ...

When I'm squaring awkward measurements I convert to metric. It is far better to be off by 1 mm than 1/8 inch.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Every child in the US is required to learn the metric system before graduating from High School because it is required for science classes. They start learning it in elementary school. Realistically the metric system makes a whole lot more sense.

The question WHY should be WHY are Americans so determined to be stuck in a system of measurement that is not used in most other countries? The scientific community agreed to only use the metric system long ago. American money is divisible by 10 but inches are by 8 and feet are by 12? No wonder our children fall behind in math after 4th grade. They are required to memorize doofy measurements. Ever wonder why we were required to memorize multiplication tables to 12?

I'm fortunate. Besides living overseas, my degrees are in chemistry and physics. I automatically convert in my head. We all do it without thinking. It just depends on what you are comfortable with using. There are 39.25 inches in a meter, 2.54 cm in an inch, etc. I find it easier to work totally in metric. 100 cm = 1m, 10 mm= 1 cm, ...

When I'm squaring awkward measurements I convert to metric. It is far better to be off by 1 mm than 1/8 inch.
I am an RN and in the medical field we use metric also,1 liter of IV fluid,wounds are measures in cm ect.. so I don't understand why we don't convert for the rest of life here in the US.Different is not always good.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM

You are soooooooo right - fabric here is priced outrageous compared to the US - so when we get an extra 3 inches of fabric it still doesn't compare pricewise to a yard of fabric.

Too bad more fabric websites don't ship to Canada - they could have a booming business here - and only the recipient pays all customs duties and taxes if the amount is over the limit allowed. The seller only has to complete a customs declaration and putit on the package and the rest is in the hands of the post office and customs office.

Originally Posted by jayelee
I agree my friends in Canada pay alot more for a meter than I do a yard sometimes as much as three times what I pay
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM

We don't use the metric system.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM

Too bad more fabric websites don't ship to Canada - they could have a booming business here - and only the recipient pays all customs duties and taxes if the amount is over the limit allowed.

Do you know which online shops do not ship to Canada? I know that Hancock's of Paducah, Over the Rainbow, Dakota Cabin Quilts, Missouri Star Quilt Company, and Quilting By The Bay all do ship to Canada. Actually, I don't think I've come across one that doesn't.