Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt? >

Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt?

Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
I like your second choice. If you know anyone with EQ7, you can scan the fabric in and use the kalidescope function to slide the outlined piece over the fabric with your mouse and the program will create a visual of what the block will look like if you cut it in that spot. I love this feature.
Great to know. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Just a reference for those who might want to see what the mirrors help you do; see below. You can certainly get a couple of cheap mirror to do the same thing & tape the 2 edges together, as someone here suggested. Plexiglass mirror is lightweight & won't shatter like real glass if you're carrying it around with you a lot.

I think if you bought a couple of variations of fabrics in the same line with same colorways, but a little different scale it could be a nice muted stack n whack (more subtle). I would audition the prints at a store where possible.

This one is $25, Marti Michell has one similar for $10 but smaller.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181353[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-181347.png  
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bstock
I love this fabric and was wondering if it will work for the stack and whack quilt.
http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...&key=mdsblgyel
Thanks for your input.

After reading all your wonderful commets would this one work better?
http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...key=MDSBFPACKY
The FIRST fabric has more of a variety. It will result in many more varied hexagons. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM

I think the repeat size is okay to make it work, but I question whether or not there is enough color variety in the print. It would be pretty , but would have a two tone look. The variety of colors in a print add so much to the Stack and Whack method so that each block is distinct and different from the others.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

What about this one? It is the same print as the first link posted, but being on a white background, you could have blocks that feature the blue flowers, or the yellow, or the green leaves. Just a tad more variety than the same print on yellow.

http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...&key=mdsblgivo

And thank you to the 2501 of you who stopped by my site to take a look at the fabric. I don't know who you are, but I can tell that you were there looking! :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-181517.jpe  
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Just a reference for those who might want to see what the mirrors help you do; see below. You can certainly get a couple of cheap mirror to do the same thing & tape the 2 edges together, as someone here suggested. Plexiglass mirror is lightweight & won't shatter like real glass if you're carrying it around with you a lot.

I think if you bought a couple of variations of fabrics in the same line with same colorways, but a little different scale it could be a nice muted stack n whack (more subtle). I would audition the prints at a store where possible.
\
I made my stack and whack mirror by standing 2 Dollar Store mirrors on short edge and duct taping the back to hold the 2 mirrors together. Duct tape because you can fold the mirrors on top of each other and the duct tape holds and holds. I then took 2 slightly larger than the mirror pieces of cardboard and did the same thing with the duck tape so now I have an envelope to put my mirrors in. I put the mirrors in the envelop and slide the whole thing into a 5 x 7 manilla envelope and fold the manilla envelope in half and viola! I have a safe way to carry the mirrors with little likelihood of breakage and it slips into my purse really easily so I have it when I go fabric shoping.

As far as the two fabrics being spoken of in this thread, my personaal opinion is the pattern repeat looks uneven and/or too far apart for a stack and whack. I was told in a class I took that the fabric repeat for a stack n whack should be about every 9 -13 inches. The fabric you chose is gorgous. Can't wait to see your pictures of the blocks.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I love this board....everyone has a different opinon. I think you should use whatever you like. It is your color scheme (but I would use the first one)LOL!!!! the second one would look to much like the original fabric.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 AM

2nd one will work better. the best way to tell is to use 2 small mirrors to reflect the image. works great.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 AM

I agree the fabric is pretty, and I also agree it might be a better staqck n wack choice if it had a few additional colors. The rule of thumb on chosing patterns for stack n whack is spread you fingers and lay your had across the fabric pattern and if the main pattern is about the size of your hand spread out, it will make a good stack n whack, if the pattern is too small, there will not be enough variation/movement in the outcome.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 AM

I reread my stack and whack book. Ideal patterns have a short repeat of about 12-13 inches. multiple colors in it, with high contrast, also need some space between.