Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will glue stick gum up the needle? >

Will glue stick gum up the needle?

Will glue stick gum up the needle?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

No, Elmer's Washable school glue or glue sticks do not Gum up the needle.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I sewed over my glued pieces without incident.

I should invest in some of those nonstick needles and have them on hand. Yesterday I had already glued the pieces together at the time I posted and was hoping I wouldn't have to wait to get some.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Never have had a problem with washable glue. I sandwiched a king size quilt to FMG with elmers school glue. Not one problem.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]602946[/ATTACH]At Michaels I found these bottle caps that will fit the Elmers' School Glue bottles, they come six in a pkg. and not very expensive. I also found anti-glue sewing machine needles from the following website: www.madoira.com I hope this helps you out.
Attached Thumbnails bottletops-1.jpg   bottletops-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
Does Elmer's washable school glue stick gum up the sewing machine's needle? Does it matter if it's wet or dry?

I haven't used the glue stick much and thought I'd try it, and then after I got everything glued I suddenly started to wonder about this.
I've used both. BUT allow them to dry before you sew/quilt. I use the liquid to turn my binding to the front of my quilts as I machine sew, rather than flip to back and hand sew.
I use it to hold HST pieces together so they don't get wonky when sewing and those little corners don't curl or get stuck under the needle.

Never had a problem. AND it washes out nicely.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:50 AM

I primarily use the liquid glue and glue baste my quilt sandwiches together for quilting. I let the glue dry and have never had any problem with gummy needles. I just run a thin stream in a zig zag fashion on my quilt bat and then lay either the backing or front of the quilt over that depending on which side I'm doing. For piecing or to hold some little thing in place I use either a glue stick or liquid. I do have the fine tip for the liquid and will use a tooth pick for the glue stick if I just need a little dab. I wash my quilts to get the glue disolved and out of the quilt.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I primarily use the liquid glue and glue baste my quilt sandwiches together for quilting. I let the glue dry and have never had any problem with gummy needles. I just run a thin stream in a zig zag fashion on my quilt bat and then lay either the backing or front of the quilt over that depending on which side I'm doing. For piecing or to hold some little thing in place I use either a glue stick or liquid. I do have the fine tip for the liquid and will use a tooth pick for the glue stick if I just need a little dab. I wash my quilts to get the glue disolved and out of the quilt.
thats how I do it too. Sometimes I practice meandering with the glue on the batting.