Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage? >

Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
Two, I don't know how I am going to find enough boxes or containers to put it in. And three, I am worried the high heat (it will be in temperatures ranging from 70 at night to 115 as our daytime temps are going to go to 107 to 110) will damage the fabric. I will probably need around 2 to 3 weeks of storage.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Home Depot and Lowes sell moving boxes from 87 cents to about $3. Check online. They're the same as the UHaul boxes and a lot easier to pick up - plus so much cheaper. 25 14x14 boxes for $29 is a great deal.
Go to homedepot.com and search for moving boxes.

Last edited by catmcclure; 06-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 AM

also go by a printing place, they often have copy paper boxes they will give you. I have about a couple hundred of them, no kidding.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Cool Garage Storage

I get boxes from the liquor store. They are small, sturdy, & easily stacked. You can't get too much fabric in them that they are too heavy to lift. Remove dividers if you need to. I don't worry about the logos on the outside of the boxes - besides, some of them have pretty labels and/or FMQ designs - another plus - for educational purposes!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM

I would get a few vacuum storage bags, load them up and then vacuum pack them so they shrink way down. It sure won't hurt since that is what they are made for. More can be less!!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Another thought might be to get clear plastic garbage bags and a tool that compresses bags (can't think of name) and it means you can put much more in same space- your boxes, etc and later under your bed. good luck!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM

I keep fabric in my outdoor utility room. It's packed in flat folds and then stored in plastic boxes. So of it has been there for three summers and we have plenty of heat and humidity here. No problems so far.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Next time you get any words, just tell him you've decided to not spend any more on fabric til you use up (so much) of your fabric (10, 20, 50, 100 yards, etc.). if it is a real problem, then just assure him you are working on it, and really, it is like having food in the pantry (for you)....
Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by StephT View Post
Do you have a friends house you can hide some boxes?... Or rent a storage shed for a month.
I just don't understand the need to "hide" things from your family. If you hear comments, laugh it off. You could be doing a lot worse things than sewing. Or "collecting fabric". LOL. I'll call it what it is.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 AM

One suggestion - would it be possible to use the little square things that come in your new pair of shoes to keep them dry? Don't know for sure, but possibly a store like The Container Store might have them.

On the funny side: My dear husband likes to read - he will purchase 5 or 6 books for his Nook at one time. We've been known to walk out of a book store with so many books, I'd be reading for years. Anyway, on a recent trip - HE's the one that said "let's find the fabric stores for you"! Was I happy or what!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 AM

My fabric survives AZ heat, so yours should be fine. I'm a snowbird - I leave AZ before it hits the 90s, and we don't have a/c, so the fabric is in really HOT rooms when the temp climbs above 110.

If your DH complains about how much fabric you have, point out that you bought it BEFORE the prices went up! Now that same fabric would cost as much as $11/yard! So you've actually saved a LOT of money by havng a big stash!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!