Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will interfacing help with my problem? >

Will interfacing help with my problem?

Will interfacing help with my problem?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 AM

My boyfriend's mom has asked me to put together a quilt for her that she wants to give to another family member. She bought the fabric several years ago with the intention of making this quilt herself. Well, she hasn't been quilting for a very long time and asked if I would do it for her. I agreed. Seems easy enough she just wants a couple borders added to the main fabric. I bought fabric for the borders and think it will look great when finished. The main fabric she gave me to make the quilt out of is quite thin and it is mostly white, I was thinking of backing the whole piece of fabric with lightweight interfacing to give it a little extra body and so that it would be the same weight of the other fabrics. Also, hopefully I won't be able to see through it anymore. Do you think this will work, would it make it too stiff? Would I still be able to do FMQ meandering on it ok? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I think you have a great idea. There are interfacings that will work that are very light weight, and it shouldn't interfere with your quilting :D:D:D
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Magnolia, a light weight interfacing would get the fabric a better drape and hopefully add enough thickness to may it opaque enough for the end results you desire. it shouldn't interfere with your FMQ either
I hope this works.

Leota
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.Especially since I already bought the interfacing. I just thought I should ask here to make sure, before I iron it on.