Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will someone please beat me with the stupid stick......

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, I laughed so hard I stepped on my stupid stick and broke it.

Can you use the strips on the original project? If not, I'm pretty sure it will not go to waste on another 2.5" strip required pattern.

Been there done that and as the expert say: It's not a mistake - just a creative challenge.

2.5" inch strips are perfect for binding. Now you just need to buy coordinating fabric for the new quilt! Problem solved! Stupid stick not necessary. Give yourself a creative genius pat on the back! A new quilt is born!

keep those strips in a bag or sonething on the side. Then save up strips from other projects. They will multiply (don't ask me how) and soon you can visit Bonnie Hunter's site at www.quiltville.com and make gorgeous quilts with your scraps.

I like adding to my tub of scraps, someday I hope to have a zillion to choose from to make some of the quilts on her site. I have made the Strip Twist but there are so many more I'd like to do.

Blog Entries
    mama can you find another pattern instead with the strips that you have cut already ,i,ve done that and it was because i did not take my time to read all the directions right ,so see if you can find something eles ,it,s a gift and it,s coming from your heart good luck and take a picture and show us your finish quilt

OK...bang bang bang, now do you feel better? I would use them anyway, I am sure she will still love it even if it is not "perfectly done: because YOU made it for them! :oops:

Blog Entries
    Oh my...I buy those sticks by the dozen...but I won't waste one on your little boo boo....heck, that wouldn't even qualify for a mistake in my house! Now...the dozen eggs that I dropped on the carpet in my house yesterday...THAT is qualified for the stupid stick!! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    about the only reason i can think of to wack you with the stick is your "shame" at being tempted to use the strips anyway.

OF COURSE you have to use them ... sooner or later. :lol:

have you tested them for your current project? sometimes what's "wrong" according to a pattern is either just fine or better in the end. :wink:
    Spot on! I made a mistake once, but then found out I was wrong.... get it? LOL

I am thinking now I might use them for an extra boarder or binding. Some how I will incorporate them in this quilt. BTW I sewed the first sample blocks (which color on the big pinwheel, which on the smaller) last night and asked my daughter which she wanted on the quilt. She chose both. God love her, she is switching it up on her own already!!! I am pleased :D

My stupid stick's broke. Use it on myself too much... :)

I'd be half tempted to still use them, too... would it make a difference?? Maybe just be more careful or something...

Hi mamabird3,
    Sounds like your 'lemons' have become lemonade already!! Good for you!!
    Please post photos as soon as possible! We LOVE pictures of projects.

Gramadona looks like we are neighbors!

I have two projects going on at the moment. Here is a picture of the blocks for the quilt I am doing now.. the one I cut wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Idea!
    Do the same mistake twice, and VIOLA! Two quilts

Quote Originally Posted by mamabird3
    I just cut out all the strips for a Double Pinwheel quilt I am making for one of my girls. I had just finished cutting 14 2 1/2 strips when I realized that I folded and cut the fabric wrong.. UGH.. I was looking forward to starting it tomorrow, I am ashamed to admit how tempted I am to use the strips anyway.. lol
    TeeHeeHee. I've heard of an ugly stick, but never a stupid stick. Now, haven't you heard that there are no mistakes? Use this opportunity to step out of the box and make something truly unique. Use those strips. I'd bet it will be awesome.

Mamabird,
    Hey, where in Fairfield are you? I'm on Village in Suisun!! pm me if you'de like.
    I love your blocks... especially that adorable ladybug fabric.

No mistakes, just happy accidents!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by gramadona
    Mamabird,
    Hey, where in Fairfield are you? I'm on Village in Suisun!! pm me if you'de like.
    I love your blocks... especially that adorable ladybug fabric.
    I live over by Woodard Chevrolet. Do you belong to the quilting guild here in town? I've been thinking of making a meeting one Wed night when they are at the quilt shop.

I don't belong to it, but have thought about going to a meeting also. None of my friends quilt and I think it would be great to have a place to get advice and/or help. I've been sewing forever, but started quilting in 2003 so any advice would be SO welcomed.
    I started emailing back and forth with GailG from this board and I love her and wish she was my next door neighbor!
    Let me know if you are going to a meeting of the NorthWind Quilters.

Thanks Dona, my feelings are mutual. We're our own long-distance mini guild. :lol:

Hi Gail,
    I really mean it... we seem to have so much in common and I would love to sit over coffee and talk quilts and cakes with you! Wouldn't you like to move to CA????

Quote Originally Posted by gramadona
    Hi Gail,
    I really mean it... we seem to have so much in common and I would love to sit over coffee and talk quilts and cakes with you! Wouldn't you like to move to CA????
    HMMM, I'll have to think about that. :lol: Wouldn't you like to move to Cajun country?? I would like to visit your neck of the woods. I've never been to CA.

Coffee and brownies would be awesome to go with all that chatter we could produce. lol

I think it's too late for the stupid stick Someone beat us to it. :lol: :lol: :lol: . I wish I could say I never did anything like that. Well, now you know why I always buy a little extra fabric. My favorite expressions seems to be.......................AWE CRAAAP!

Oh, Jackie... that is too funny! But I can identify with that too!

Now, now! It's Quilt Karma. You shake yourself of the bad vibes and you're going to have to move on by going to the fabric shop and balance the Yin & Yang of your interself and purchase more fabric. That is what I do when I make a slight error and they have been known to happen.

Isn't this a GREAT bunch of folks that we have on this board. I love the positive spin everyone ALWAYS has on what might be considered a mistake or stupidity or ???? Mammabird, you don't need a stupid stick because every PERCEIVED mistake is a learning tool for our future. Enjoy your project and at the time (in the future) when you use up your strips that were a "mistake" , you'll have fond memories of the old project; the anxiety you had and how glad you are that this happened because now the current project is being completed more quickly using the "mistakes" that are all cut and ready to be sewn,. :wink:

Somewhere down the road you are going to take those lemons ( wrong cut strips) and make some wonderful lemonade. Uuummm what is that song, There is a reason for everything under the sun. Hard part is finding it now, maybe not for you but in a swap or charity event where the other person is just waiting for it to come along.

Good luck! Remember only God is perfect, our quilts don't need to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast