Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Will someone please beat me with the stupid stick......

I just cut out all the strips for a Double Pinwheel quilt I am making for one of my girls. I had just finished cutting 14 2 1/2 strips when I realized that I folded and cut the fabric wrong.. UGH.. I was looking forward to starting it tomorrow, I am ashamed to admit how tempted I am to use the strips anyway.. lol

Blog Entries
    Sorry, my stupid stick is broken. I used it too much lately. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WACK shame on you. WACK you should have known better. WACK next time you will not do that for if you do you get more WACKS. :twisted:

Feel better. :D

Heck everyone makes a mistake sometime even stupid ones.

Blog Entries
    about the only reason i can think of to wack you with the stick is your "shame" at being tempted to use the strips anyway.

OF COURSE you have to use them ... sooner or later. :lol:

have you tested them for your current project? sometimes what's "wrong" according to a pattern is either just fine or better in the end. :wink:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    You're absolutely NOT stupid - just means you need more fabric, to me that's VERY clever! :D

K x

When you get ready to use those strips, you'll be tickled that they're already cut.

Blog Entries
    not being one to inflict pain and humiliation on myself .... I threw out the stupid stick a long time ago. Also I would never ever dream of using it on someone else! Look at it this way ... there are no accidents, things are meant to be. You were not meant to start this quilt as soon as you planned. The material will work just fine in another project. While out shopping for the replacement material you may find a bargain that makes it all worthwhile or you may lift someone spirits with a smile and kind word. Admit it ..... you love to buy material so is this really so bad :?: :!: :D

Look at it this way. It may be your fabric's way of telling you it wants to be in another project. And it may be that the strips will work anyway in your current project. Try them out and see.

no mistakes, it was done on purpose...it will be lovely in so many other patterns....I do it a lot but keem mum lol :wink:

No stupid stick here. I've done it too. Of course you are tempted to use them, but just make another trip for more fabric ( fun, fun ) and do it right. The other fabric will find a home in another wonderful quilt.

Stupid stick? What is that? I need one too - where can I buy one? Hopefully you can use them in something else. I agree with a shopping trip!

Nope, my stupid stick broke. Used it too many times on myself.
    Just put the fabric to the side. I'm sure you will find something you can make with it. :)
    We've all done things like that. Some of us just fail to admit it. lol

Sounds like a good excuse for a fabric shopping trip. And, goodness knows we all enjoy those.......

If I had a nickel for every time I cut fabric wrong (size, crooked, etc), I would be a millionaire!!!!! :lol:

Frankly, I just pass it all off as learning. When I make a mistake (or when I sew cutting off one of those endless triangle points), I just chalk it up to experience. I even tell my DH, "I'm learning a lot with this quilt---by the time I make 50 or so more, they "might" be perfect-- :mrgreen:

wore mine out on myself a long time ago

Been there done that. Always comes in handy somewhere down the line. Have fun shopping for more fabric.

I went out and got a GROSS of stupid sticks, then realized that was a really STUPID decision so I had to beat myself with all of the stupid sticks.....now they are all gone! :D

Stupid stick my hind end!!! What an ingenious way to need a reason to go fabric shopping!!! You're not stupid!! You're genius!!!

Oh, so sorry, but I have done that too many times to remember! Chalk it up to a learning experience and smile as you go merrily out to get more fabric. You will find the perfect project to use what you thought was a tragic mistake! You might even be able to use it in the current project! Relax and breathe. :lol:

Hehe thanks all.

I will be off to get more fabric this morning (with 4 kids) so no real fun in that. I'll get the exact same fabric because my little one picked it out by herself for her new "favorite blankie". :) But as you say, lesson learned.

One of my girls has been wanting to "sew" something. The two little ones love to pick up the scraps I don't use no matter how tiny and stick them in a purse or doll suitcase and carry them around. So I think those beautiful strips I cut will be put to good use letting them practice sewing. Or maybe I will let them braid them thick and roll them up and make little coasters. I think they would enjoy that.

And on the brighter side of things.... I did manage to cut to other two fabrics perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabird3
    Hehe thanks all.

I will be off to get more fabric this morning (with 4 kids) so no real fun in that. I'll get the exact same fabric because my little one picked it out by herself for her new "favorite blankie". :) But as you say, lesson learned.

One of my girls has been wanting to "sew" something. The two little ones love to pick up the scraps I don't use no matter how tiny and stick them in a purse or doll suitcase and carry them around. So I think those beautiful strips I cut will be put to good use letting them practice sewing. Or maybe I will let them braid them thick and roll them up and make little coasters. I think they would enjoy that.

And on the brighter side of things.... I did manage to cut to other two fabrics perfectly.
    See? Something good has come of your mistake. Now, it's not a mistake anymore! :) :) :) :)

Been there, done that. We always need excuses to go shopping again. You'll be able to them for another project & you'll be happy that their already cut!! :lol:

Aww.. mamabird .. how cute that your children are already interested in fabrics. That's how my oldest daughter got started. She used to sit and watch me sew. Then I bought her a "fashion designer" kit when she was 7 or 8, where the child used plastic templates and designed different clothing on paper.

She is now a manager for Hanes, Inc. ... so your little ones may have a bright future.

And it IS always a fun trip to buy F A B R I C .... kids and all!! Let us know what you are making. :D

Banned
    who us? make mistakes? nahhhhhhhh. we just don't admit it. lol Don't stress dear, you are definitly not alone. try out your mistake. if it does work for you, ok, cool, otherwise, we'll try again, slower this time. I know when i get excited to start something i gotta slow down or i end up with a mess... your fine hun... :wink:

Sara (my 6 yr old) has already announced that she is going to help me sew her quilt. Of course her attention span will faulter soon after she begins. Mary (my 7 year old) could help me for hours, she loves it and is tickeld pink with her new quilt. And Annie (my 11 year old) is hit and miss, at this point, mostly miss.

I am also working on wall hanging for my Moms bday. I've traced the girls hand prints and appliqued in the center block. On the smaller snowball blocks I have drawn simple designs for the girls to "sew" with embroidery thread. So far Mary is on her 3rd block, Sara just starting her 2nd and Annie has made about 4 stitiches total. So that project is on hold til they get done.

Speaking of Annie, she will be next. Her lifes ambition is to be an Orca Whale trainer. So I am going to do something with an Orca on it. Still in the planning stages. Any ideas for that would be appreciated!

BTW... repacement fabric is in the rinse cycle... :)

Sorry -- broke my stupid stick today on my own head..... :roll:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast