Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Work for Fabric

Blog Entries
    Yes it is expensive in Australia so stock up...lol.
    If you join a quilting club you might be able to barter material ..

I worked for Joann's for 8 years and believe me, it is worth it. You get a discount on everything and have advance notice when things are going on sale. Just ask me how much fabric you can buy, at discount, for 8 years. I have a whole room full.

Blog Entries
    WOW!! What a great deal all the way around :D:D:D

Almost 30 years ago, I was between jobs after my son was born. We lived in a very small town and the LQS needed help during inventory so I was hired for a couple months.

I remember at least twice having to write them a check for my greatly discounted materials.

I had a great stash already but added to it tremendously. My hubby said I had to quit and get a "real job" that paid us instead of us paying them.

Oh good for you. I use to do that, I worked Saturdays and was paid in fabric. All was well, until someone else that also got paid that way complained, and then the owner of the shop got in trouble with the tax people, having workers and not providing unemployment benefits.
    I always considered it bartering. Someone always has to ruin it for others.
    But enjoy, to me working in a LQS, isn't really work most of the time.

Congrats!! A great opportunity! I'd love to be able to do something like that. Fun! Fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissM
    Lucky you :hunf: Remember you will have to post your weekly pay check here. :XD:
    great idea! and being able to sew while you are there. Is this called heaven?

QKO
    Not to rain on your parade too much, but do make sure you remind your employer to fully report the value of the goods she is giving you in return for your work, both to the IRS and to you on the correct IRS forms. You will, in turn be required to report it as income, which could also affect any government benefits (such as social security) that you are receiving. Also, you and your employer will have to pay into all the other state and/or federal taxes required by employers, such as unemployment, workers comp, etc.

The IRS is now specifically targeting LQS's for hiring and paying workers in this fashion, and the penalties for non-reporting of barter income are severe. If your LQS is caught not reporting income to you, you will also be audited for non-reporting of income.

And you could always sell your leftover fabric here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne Marie
    I was visiting a tiny quilt shop not far from home and the owner said she needs someone to work one day a week for...you guessed it FABRIC!!!! I can sew while I'm there, too. DH thinks it's a great idea but wonders why I need more fabric.
    Lucky gal!!! I'd kill for a job like that!! (Well, maybe not) But, I'd sure like one.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to the LQS that I worked for that I mentioned in my earlier reply. It sounds nice, but someone will pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by QKO
    Not to rain on your parade too much, but do make sure you remind your employer to fully report the value of the goods she is giving you in return for your work, both to the IRS and to you on the correct IRS forms. You will, in turn be required to report it as income, which could also affect any government benefits (such as social security) that you are receiving. Also, you and your employer will have to pay into all the other state and/or federal taxes required by employers, such as unemployment, workers comp, etc.

The IRS is now specifically targeting LQS's for hiring and paying workers in this fashion, and the penalties for non-reporting of barter income are severe. If your LQS is caught not reporting income to you, you will also be audited for non-reporting of income.

How wonderful......work for fabric and do your sewing, too. Job made in Heaven!!!

Oh goodness! So much to consider. I will ask all these questions but what a hassle. What if I am considered an contract employee? I'd better call our CPA - there goes my first two months "income". Maybe I can make him a rag quilt in exchange.

Sounds like a great job to have!!! :)

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I had this job a couple years back. Hubby said it ws like putting the fox in the hen house :)

Blog Entries
    You have to jump on that one.....You can never have enough fabric.... and you might get first dibs on anything new that comes in. What a great offer..... take it!!!!

Two years ago I retired. A month later I went to work at our LQS, just for fun.We have over 7000 bolts of fabric. I love it. Quilters are such wonderful people. I only work now when she needs the extra help, but I teach a small projects class once a month, and I do the Moda Club meetings once a momth. I love anything that has to do with Quilting!!

After I retired, I continue on as a substitute in the summers. I call that my fabric money. I never feel guilty going into a quilt shop that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Marie

Oh goodness! So much to consider. I will ask all these questions but what a hassle. What if I am considered an contract employee? I'd better call our CPA - there goes my first two months "income". Maybe I can make him a rag quilt in exchange.
    The red tape of it all...such a buz kill! :evil: BUT Go for it and enjoy it while you can. :mrgreen: But to be safe do have it checked out... ;)

Blog Entries
    There are ways around all the red tape - such as your NOT working, your simply helping out a friend. Since when does the government need to stick it's nose into friendly bartering? They steal enough money from us as it is and then turn around and blow it right out the window - paying to study the mating habits of the common brown dog tick for one.

That is a dream part time job! I'd be all over that!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    There are ways around all the red tape - such as your NOT working, your simply helping out a friend. Since when does the government need to stick it's nose into friendly bartering? They steal enough money from us as it is and then turn around and blow it right out the window - paying to study the mating habits of the common brown dog tick for one.
    I agree and was thinking the same thing!! Well not so much about the mating habits especially about the brown dog tick...heee heee!:mrgreen: But the helping out a friend thing. You wouldn't think that has anything to do with the government. Like you say, they take enough from us...It's like we're little kids with candy and the parent "government" comes long holding their hands out saying "Alright now, give me that!!"...Yep...a sure buz kill!! :thumbdown:

That is what happened to me after I retired. I have never regretted it. The owner pays me, but I have been there for over 7 years now and have never received a paycheck. When I see all those beautiful fabrics come in, I just can't resist.
    Julie

I worked in a yarn shop for yarn one day a week, a good idea and soon customers came while I was there for help and instructions. Later on I bought the business, sold it 22 years ago and not a week don't go by that someone doesn't call or come over for knitting or crocheting assistance.

Carol J.

oh wow, I would love that kind of job......best wishes to you and enjoy! gloria g. South Carolina

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast