Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will Work for Fabric >

Will Work for Fabric

Will Work for Fabric

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Congrats!! A great opportunity! I'd love to be able to do something like that. Fun! Fun!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MissM
Lucky you :hunf: Remember you will have to post your weekly pay check here. :XD:
great idea! and being able to sew while you are there. Is this called heaven?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
QKO

Not to rain on your parade too much, but do make sure you remind your employer to fully report the value of the goods she is giving you in return for your work, both to the IRS and to you on the correct IRS forms. You will, in turn be required to report it as income, which could also affect any government benefits (such as social security) that you are receiving. Also, you and your employer will have to pay into all the other state and/or federal taxes required by employers, such as unemployment, workers comp, etc.

The IRS is now specifically targeting LQS's for hiring and paying workers in this fashion, and the penalties for non-reporting of barter income are severe. If your LQS is caught not reporting income to you, you will also be audited for non-reporting of income.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 AM

And you could always sell your leftover fabric here!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Anne Marie
I was visiting a tiny quilt shop not far from home and the owner said she needs someone to work one day a week for...you guessed it FABRIC!!!! I can sew while I'm there, too. DH thinks it's a great idea but wonders why I need more fabric.
Lucky gal!!! I'd kill for a job like that!! (Well, maybe not) But, I'd sure like one.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Yes, this is exactly what happened to the LQS that I worked for that I mentioned in my earlier reply. It sounds nice, but someone will pay the price.

Originally Posted by QKO
Not to rain on your parade too much, but do make sure you remind your employer to fully report the value of the goods she is giving you in return for your work, both to the IRS and to you on the correct IRS forms. You will, in turn be required to report it as income, which could also affect any government benefits (such as social security) that you are receiving. Also, you and your employer will have to pay into all the other state and/or federal taxes required by employers, such as unemployment, workers comp, etc.

The IRS is now specifically targeting LQS's for hiring and paying workers in this fashion, and the penalties for non-reporting of barter income are severe. If your LQS is caught not reporting income to you, you will also be audited for non-reporting of income.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 AM

How wonderful......work for fabric and do your sewing, too. Job made in Heaven!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by QKO

Oh goodness! So much to consider. I will ask all these questions but what a hassle. What if I am considered an contract employee? I'd better call our CPA - there goes my first two months "income". Maybe I can make him a rag quilt in exchange.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Sounds like a great job to have!!! :)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Cyn

I had this job a couple years back. Hubby said it ws like putting the fox in the hen house :)