Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me? >

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 AM

I have the Handi Quilter Avante and I love it. Easy to use, great frame, which is really important. I am petite so the 18" throat was good for me.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 AM

You might want to join the - homequiltingsystem group on Yahoo. There is a file there that does a comparison of many long arm machines.

Ther are many on that site, that started with a 9" harp machine and quickly found it to be too small. By the time you get about half way through your quilt, you only have 2-3" of space to quilt with, there fore, really limiting the design you can do. That made them sell and go biggerr.

That being said, my advise is to try as many machines as you can, and purchase what you can afford. If you can't afford all the bells and whistles, don't try machines that have them. Ask me how I know!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM

The Block Rockit looks great and I have done business with them before when helping a friend buy a hand quilting frame. They were awesome to work with and very helpful. I have a mid arm Gammill premier plus which is an 18" machine and I love it. I think you'd love the new machine and you could get size frame that would behest for you. Know that you have to deduct the size of the machine from the frame width to know how wide a quilt you can quilt. Oh, and I take the front bar off my machine to sit and stitch!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

I"m probalbly in the minority here but I had never used a longarm but have quilted on my 30 yr old 1630 Bernina which was a real chore and painful when doing larger quilts. I went to a show and took a class on a Gammill and was instantly sold on LA. I proceded right to the Juki dealer at the show and bought the Juki 2200 QVP Long arm 18" throat with stitch regulator and Grace frame. I thought I'd set up the crib sized frame, but after doing that I quickly decided I'd find space for the 10" frame. (Very easy set up BTW). I am totally self-taught except for the 4 hr class at the show, and find quilting so much fun. I bought a cushy 72' floor pad i lay in front of the LA and have made quilts that are as wide as 110' and as narrow as 24". Remember that the actual sewing machine takes up space and with the Juki on the 10' (120") frame the actual quilting area is about 110". The Grace Co has been very supportive helping me with some technical issues since there isn't any dealer or other user close by me. Thanks Ruth, Marie, Glen, and Chris for solving my little problems and suggesting ways to improve. I have a Janome 8200 with an 11" throat that I can do FMQ on but the LA gives me way more design flexibility and it is much faster to prep the quilt sandwichon the frame than it is to baste. IMHO, If you can find the space and money hold out for the LA!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM

I have the BabyLock Tiara (same as HQ Sweet Sixteen) and have quilted a 108" x 108" quilt on it with no problem. I also have the MegaQuilter on the Inspira frame and love that too!! Actually, I have 2 MegaQuilters - one on the frame and one for piecing. It is an awesome machine and makes a beautiful stitch. That said, if you won't be quilting anything bigger than 105" the frame is great. Just be aware you have only about 6" to quilt in. I use pantographs smaller than 5" and can usually do a 100" long quilt with no problems. I got my machine & frame in 2005 and both are in great shape. My service guy was very impressed with the machine - just a straight stitch machine with metal parts. Not a machine to lug to classes as it weighs about 35 lbs!! Good luck on your quest. Let us know what you end up and remember, practice, practice, practice and practice some more!!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM

I have the Husqvarna Mega Quilter with the frame and stitch regulator and I love it!! I have quilted Queen size quilts on it. Yes, I would like a larger throat, but I have made it work. Also, like you, I did not have a large amount of money to spend, but wanted to do my own quilting, so this was a compromise. Now, since I do not do quilting for others, but just my own things, it works for me. I got tired quickly of moving the machine from the frame to my table to do the piecing, so my husband got me another machine for piecing. Now my machine can stay on the frame. I agree with the others.....the larger the throat the better, but I am still thrilled after years of use, to have my set up. I guess, I would get the best machine I could afford. good luck!!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM

My decision was made for me by DH one year when he had an unexpected windfall (in the way of spending money) and we went to Branson, MO on a vacation. On the way there, we drove through the town where Gammill is located. I screamed, Stop, and I think his heart nearly did. There was GAMMILL all over the outside walls of that building right beside the highway. I already owned an old LA on a 10 ft frame, so was familiar with all the aspects of machine quilting. Those people showed us all over the plant so graciously that my mind was made up then and there. I had to have one. But we had to go through the buying from a dealer thing so that I would have proper service, etc. I got mine for Christmas in 2009 and haven't looked back.

It has definitely been a learning curve for me. In fact, my son did all the learning on that machine, and now does most of my LA quilting--we do occasionally do quilting for pay. But I have learned the loading aspect, tension problems and how to work them out, and am beginning to do my own quilting. Our personal favorite is meandering and free movement as opposed to panto (even though I do have about 20 designs). Mine is a Gammill Classic 26", and I can quilt anything up to 120" easily. We are still working on the bobbins question though (how many bobbins should I fill) so we don't have to quit and fill a bobbin in the middle of the last line of quilting....

I am sorry I can't help you at all with the sit-down method. I have never tried it, and don't feel inclined to even try it. Seems like too much effort to me, even though I do have to do a lot of walking when I am quilting a big quilt. I just make sure I have enough time to spread it out over a three or four day effort. But the Gammill WAS expensive; cost more than our first home on the VA mortgage plan.....

Good luck, and I'll be watching to see what you decide.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM

I guess I am in a real minority. I have 4 ordinary domestic machines and I've used each of them to quilt king size quilts. I "puddle" around the needle and its no problem as the quilt is fully supported on tables set by my machine. Good luck with whatever you decide to get. I had briefly thought about going through the learning curve a long arm would require and then decided I'm very content continuing to do what I do with my domestic machines. Saving my money to buy an automatic generator as the electricity goes out more times than I care to think about!!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 AM

I have the Pfaff Grand Hobby with the 9 inch throat but with a stitch regulator and have just gotten used to using it. The 9 inch throat is very limiting--I frequently have to roll the quilt after having done only 3 inches of stitching especially if the pantograph is relatively dense. I have purchased a Pfaff 16 sit down but it hasn't arrived yet but did quilt on the one at the store and liked it enough to purchase. Both have their place. By all means do purchase the stitch regulator.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM

If I were you I would go withe the mid or long arm. I got a machine with the 9 in throat and the first row is ok, but as you roll the quilt you lose space with each roll and I find it's not a good option. Wish I could find an afforadable long arm. Good luck whatever you decide, have fun.