Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will your guild be meeting this fall? >

Will your guild be meeting this fall?

Will your guild be meeting this fall?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 AM

Default Will your guild be meeting this fall?

I belong to two local quilt guilds (one small, one larger) and the state-wide guild which generally take the summer off. None have met since March when our Governor issued a "Stay Home/Stay Safe" order due to COVID19. All are currently debating whether or not to begin meeting in the fall. I have heard of other groups elsewhere continuing to meet via Zoom or some other platform.

Just curious to know what your guilds are planning, if anything, for the fall? If you have used Zoom, do many people participate and how do you structure the meetings? If you won't be meeting this fall, when do you plan to start up again? Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Old 07-09-2020, 02:31 AM
Administrator

our guild has finally received permission to use the meeting room again at the local library.
meetings resume in August.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:43 AM

My quilting group has not met since March either. Since it meets in a local library, we must follow the rules of that institution. We are more than 50, therefore we cannot use their facility for the time being. This same group meets twice a week on Zoom. It is not a whole group certainly, but a consistent group of 5 - 7 with others that come on as they can. Some members have returned to work outside of home, which limits the number of potential participants. Zoom has been working well. Making new acquaintances, doing impromptu show and tell, encouraging and offering our opinions and suggestions have kept us happily connected. .
Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 AM

Our Guild stopped meeting when our state was a stay at home. We had our first meeting a couple weeks ago. It was at a large room where we could set up our chair with lots of room between us and we wore masks. It was a much smaller group than usual but was great to have show and tell. We will continue to meet if we feel it is safe where we can spread out. One of these days we will get back to semi-normal.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:18 AM

Ours is meeting outdoors this month.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Our small group (25-30) has decided not to start up in the fall. The places (2 local banks meeting rooms) we use are not allowing reservations for anyone. We do have a private FB page and have been chatting a bit. We are looking into Zoom meetings as we speak and possibly doing a couple of QAL/mystery via email and FB.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:30 AM

One of my groups has been meeting outside. The other group is doing ZOOM. I think at some point the outside group will come inside. There are only about 25 people and the space we have could work with people spreading out.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

My guild is around 120, with 80 or so coming to meetings regularly. Our meeting place is closed, and my state is not doing well with the virus. I doubt that meetings will be resumed this year, and if they are, I won't attend.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM

I am doubtful my small group will feel comfortable enough meeting inside our friend's house, plus her husband has had a growing number of issues in the last few months. We meet the guidelines, both in terms of Covid safety and the rules to be able to reserve a room at the library and maintain our distance, but that means she needs a caretaker for her husband during that time period.

(edit: We just started meeting again about 3-4 weeks ago, outside with plenty of distance. Some of the mornings have been rather damp and chilly but we needed the face to face contact. Mostly we are just visiting and show and tell, hard to do more in lawn chairs.)

I foresee being largely locked down through the end of the year. We are hoping that the hubby's hobby/passion of bowling will open again in around August. His league was cancelled just as our quilt shows/guild meetings were. I think a lot of things are sort of depending on whether or not schools will be open and/or how they will be re-opened.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-09-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:43 AM

my guild usually doesn't meet during the summer...but this month, a date was picked, permission received to meet in the parking lot for 1 hour. Members were instructed to wear a mask, bring a chair, and distance from each other at least six feet. I was unable to attend but about 15 of the around 80 members did and show and tell was done. Photos were taken and then shared online so stay at home members could see them. I enjoyed looking at the photos and saw many covid19 finishes. My part of the state has not been hit hard....but yesterday we had the most new cases ever and most of them were in the under 30 age group. umm...the young still don't think masks and distancing is necessary. Well, I guess when I was young, I had to learn somethings the hard way. I am still hoping to say free of this virus at least until a vaccine comes out and is available...Higher of the high risk people I am...sighhh…..