Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Winding the Bobbin >

Winding the Bobbin

Winding the Bobbin

Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Question Winding the Bobbin

I am having problems winding the bobbin. I am a beginner sewer. When I try to use the plastic bobbin, I find that the thread that I put through the middle that comes out on top of the bobbin and also the part you are supposed to "hold" when winding the bobbin breaks off when I am trying to wind the bobbin. I have had more problems trying to wind the metal bobbins. I have tried every tension number to get the bobbin to wind and am still having troubles. I have a Singer sewing machine and have read the directions over and over and over again. Can anyone here help me please. I really need help with this as I live alone and have nobody else to ask. I would appreciate any suggestions given. Thank Again. Frugalsewer.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM

I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with that machine. Does it wind in place? Mine does not, but I can tell you when I start out I hold the thread for a minute until I'm sure it's winding then clip the thread & let go.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Go to onlinesewing.com. There is a great tutorial on how to properly wind a bobbin.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM

That's the way I wind on my Singer also. After it has caught hold, you no longer need to hold a thread. I don't understand what the problem is.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the input Maggiemay

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with that machine. Does it wind in place? Mine does not, but I can tell you when I start out I hold the thread for a minute until I'm sure it's winding then clip the thread & let go.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks so much Toverly! I really appreciate all the input.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM

After the thread breaks, it doesn't wind anymore and it isn't like there is a lot of thread on the bobbin after it breaks. It is justa little bit
Originally Posted by toverly View Post
That's the way I wind on my Singer also. After it has caught hold, you no longer need to hold a thread. I don't understand what the problem is.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Is your thread old ? Maybe that is the reason it is breaking. Just a thought. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Mayme: I am starting to think that my thread is old. I asked a friend from work about it and she claimed that each machine has a certain size bobbin to it and that if the thread is old it will continuously break and leave a lot of lint in the machine. Also, the thread tension will need to be adjusted, I think she said looser than normal? When I go home tonight after work, I plan on cleaning out my machine and taking the old thread off. I will buy some new thread this weekend at Joann Fabrics. I will ask them about it and maybe get some answers. I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread. Lots of good ideas. Many, many Thanks again. Sincerely, Frugalsewer.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Agree thread might be old, also once the bobbin has a wind on it holding that first thread in place I usually stop the winder and clip the thread as it's no longer needed.

Wondering though why you are talking about adjusting the tension while winding the bobbin. You don't want to run the thread the thread through the tension discs while winding bobbins (at least not on any machine I've used, but I don't know which Singer model you have).