Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP List

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Blue Chicken - Bach is definitely NOT ugly. I can barely see the cabinet with your stash, but it is LOVELY. Please post a picture of it all by itself!
    LOL
    That's my "special stash"... that cabinet holds my favourites, McKenna Ryan fabrics, Loralie, batiks, bits I've bought for a specific purpose like motorbike fabric and co-ordinates for my son, horses for one of the girls, etc.
    I have other drawers with fat quarters all sorted into colours, and another drawer with panels, another holds my butterfly fabric collection (that I don't have the heart to actually cut! lol)

My special stash cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-31644.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  44.8 KB

I have a few WIP around the house. Oh, and maybe a few UFOs. Just some things to keep me busy on a rainy day LOL

I've got a few NESY's too....

Not Even Started Yet! ;-)

Blog Entries
    Blue Chicken - thank you for such fast action on the picture - that's a REALLY SPECIAL stash cabinet! Love that you're using it for fabric. I have a couple glass fronted cabinets that we use for more mundane things - wine glasses & such. I think I'll try to talk DH into letting me keep my stash in it! Would be a little strange in the dining room. Wonder if our friends would notice?

We have another cabinet that used to belong to my grandmother that has her wedding dinner set in it, and my mother's china set, and a few special bits and pieces. I'm eyeing it up for fabric storage now! LOL

Blog Entries
    My WIP list. I'm shocked to see how many I have. I'm so obsessive :evil: that I usually can't start a new Q until I finish the current one. Guess I'm not as obsessive as I thought. :lol: All are in Tucson with me. I can't think of any that are awaiting me in CT. :lol: But 2 of these will return there with me to be quilted! I thought I was going to quilt them in Tucson, but then those twins were born, and it has taken me the whole dern winter & then some to get them done. I think the chemo has REALLY slowed down my thought processes. :( I get to use the 'chemo brain' excuse for at least another 4 years.

Twin baby quilts - almost finished.

Double bed quilt - 3rd of 4 quilts made from old clothes DD gave me last summer to take my mind off chemo. I finished the first 2 and gave them to her & family in November. These 2 are Mile-a-minute with peach sashing from my stash. Layered and pinned (before I discovered spray adhesive).

Lap quilt - 4th quilt (top only) from DD's family's clothes. M-a-M with red sashing - I think - haven't looked at it since Nov!

Foundation-piecing from silk ties - begun about 5 years ago; languishing (I love that word - makes me think of Victorian ladies in too-tight corsets) in a box somewhere in my Tucson sewing room.

PaperPieced NYBeauty from Karen Stone book. 1 block done in '04. All the rest traced, fabrics ready to go. Another languishing WIP.

Repair of lap quilt originally made for batchelor son - well-loved by his wife and 9 and 7 year old sons. I've been given a reprieve on the repair until their house sells in Chicago, and they move to VA.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    B you are so funny - you make me laugh! Promise me when you start something else, it'll be something you actually LIKE! :D

Joanne - thanks for sharing, I'm loving reading people's lists!

Blue - wow your stash cabinet is lovely - much nicer than china - hide that in a cupboard, stash rocks!!! :D

K x

that's why they're not finished. if i loved them, they would be done.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    that's why they're not finished. if i loved them, they would be done.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I mad a king size quilt for my Mum and she chose the pattern (luckily only a nine patch) AND the fabric, which I hated! I was glad to see the back of THAT one. Luckily she nagged me daily til I got it DONE! And now I'll make quilts for whoever asks but I'LL pick the fabric! :D

K x

I usually like to finish one project before I start another because I like to feel like I've accomplished something :D However... I have not one, but TWO snowman/mitten wallhangings unfinished (one for me, one for my dd - might as well make two at the same time, right?) They were my first applique project and decided I HATE applique. My fusible web unfused, I'd never done an applique stitch on my machine and it didn't come out like I'd hoped. They're all sandwiched and basted, but I now detest them and it'll take me till next Christmas to even suck it up and quilt them. :lol:
    Then I have a small bear paw wallhanging, also basted waiting for me to quilt it.
    Actually just finished a baby quilt for a friend that just needs a label put on and that'll be completely done.
    And my first, designed by me on my EQ6 I got for Christmas, flannel throw for my living room couch. It's about halfway pieced (not sure...haven't been able to work on it for about 6 weeks). I'm really excited about it because it'll be the first one that's all my design from start to finish. It's not a difficult or fancy pattern, but I love the fabrics and I love, love, love flannel quilts.
    I think that's all the WIPs I have. The rest of you amaze me (in a GOOD way!) I might actually do more quilting if I had some in different stages, because then I could do whatever part of the process I feel like doing that day!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We have another cabinet that used to belong to my grandmother that has her wedding dinner set in it, and my mother's china set, and a few special bits and pieces. I'm eyeing it up for fabric storage now! LOL
    We have my grandmother's oak armoire filled with books. It's in my sewing room. I would love to fill it with fabric. Would the old wood affect the fabric? I have noticed a few dark stains on things that I've stored in my cedar chest.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Mistrel - that's exactly wht I have so many WIPs - if I feel like quilting, I quilt, piecing, I piece, appliqué, I appliqué etc. That's my excuse, anyway and I'm sticking to it LOL!

Gail, can't help you with the wood question but I thought cedar was traditionally used for hope chests because it's the best thing to store fabric in? But I have no experience, hopefully someone else will jump in to advise you.

K x

Blog Entries
    Just to be safe, fabric shouldn't be stored directly ON wood. It needs a barrier. With regular shelves, paint works. In fine furniture, you can use non-adhesive shelf paper, preferably acid-free OR a thick layer of muslin - that's what I would do - cheaper and less trouble than acid-free paper to find - and you can use the muslin for practice - won't care if it's stained.

K3n...but do you ever feel like basting? I don't! :wink:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minstrel
    Ah now, I used to hate, loathe and detest that part! Hand basting on my hands and knees yeuchhhh. But then I got a basting gun - now I just pin on the floor and baste on the dining table. The other day I did a lap quilt and a bed quilt in about an hour! And I must say I love using the gun - I probably put in far more tacks than I need because it's such fun! It's fun taking them out as well, I got one of those special little gadgets that pings them across the room! :D

The other good thing about basting is it's the ONLY time the living room (wood) floor gets a wash! :D

K x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by minstrel
    Ah now, I used to hate, loathe and detest that part! Hand basting on my hands and knees yeuchhhh. But then I got a basting gun - now I just pin on the floor and baste on the dining table. The other day I did a lap quilt and a bed quilt in about an hour! And I must say I love using the gun - I probably put in far more tacks than I need because it's such fun! It's fun taking them out as well, I got one of those special little gadgets that pings them across the room! :D

The other good thing about basting is it's the ONLY time the living room (wood) floor gets a wash! :D

K x
    You should try spray basting. I basted a lap quilt in less than 15 minutes. Just for safety, I pin eges in about 3 places. Lots of others on this board swear by it, too.

Thanks for the responses. I like the muslin idea. And then there's that 'ugly' fabric. :lol:

About the little plastic thingies for basting with the gun. I used a large nail clipper to remove them. Just be careful not to clip the fabric.

i think old traveling trunks were lined with pretty papers to keep clothing from actually touching the wood. also, hat boxes were made of wood and they were lined with paper.

i know that pine gives off a kind of tar or sap that stains and cedar has an oil that stains. i don't know about other woods.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Thanks for the responses. I like the muslin idea. And then there's that 'ugly' fabric. :lol:

About the little plastic thingies for basting with the gun. I used a large nail clipper to remove them. Just be careful not to clip the fabric.
    The thing I bought was only a couple of pounds. It is a kind of hook shaped thing with a handle that you slide under the tack and it's so sharp it just kind of pops it off. http://www.ladysewandsew.com/v2/prod...roducts_id=424

I tried spray baste a few years ago but as I hand quilt, it shifted like crazy so I've been afraid to try it again.

K x

I have 5 quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched and quilted (2 I still need backings for) and I have to asian quilts in progress. I'm waiting for the fabric to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG

The thing I bought was only a couple of pounds. It is a kind of hook shaped thing with a handle that you slide under the tack and it's so sharp it just kind of pops it off. http://www.ladysewandsew.com/v2/prod...roducts_id=424

I tried spray baste a few years ago but as I hand quilt, it shifted like crazy so I've been afraid to try it again.

K x
    there's a doohickey like a grid that's deep enough to let you use it on a tabletop without damaging the wood. you move around to where you need it and shoot between the ridges.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    butterfly, by doohickey I think you mean 'basting grate'? :lol: I like 'doohickey' better I have to say! :D

I did see them but a nearby friend who let me try her gun before I bought one showed me how to spread my fingers under the quilt and fire the tack BETWEEN them. I know from another discussion on here that Izy does that too. I've so far done two lap quilts and a bed quilt and STILL got all my fingers - I am VERY careful though, that needle is sharp! :D

K x

DO TELL!

I never thought of the wood leaking onto my fabrics. I think the shelves are varnished, from memory, but will be checking today! We have some of that sticky plastic stuff the kids cover their books in, I might use some of that.

As for my WIP's, it's a holiday weekend here for easter, so we have a couple of days at home which is nice. I want to finish my blue and white stars, but I also want to start a kit I bought yesterday at the quilt show.... and do some more on my cats.... and maybe get the quilting frame out.... and.... and... and....

No wonder things don't get finished! When I get close to the end of a project I can "see" how it's going to go, and I'm ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    ! We have some of that sticky plastic stuff the kids cover their books in, I might use some of that.
    BC, be careful. if that's the stuff we call contac paper (made to line kitchen shelves) you may be inviting trouble. after a while it ...mmmm...stretches, leaving hills of excess contac paper. also, the sticky residue underneath becomes kind of slimey. i don't know if you want to put anything sticky on nice furnitire. we had a vacation house once that had that on the kitchen shelves and when we sold it after 10 years, i still couldn't get the last of it off. there's no telling how it will act.

my grandma always used parchment paper for shelves and drawers. ( i still remember her little crocheted sachets.)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast