Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish I could see the contents :(

I'm thinking of getting the American Patchwork quilting magazine as well. I got an offer in the mail for two years for the price of one and some book with quilting tips that I will probably look through once and put it on the shelf to take up space lol.

I noticed the other day in JoAnns, ALOT of their new magazines are wrapped in plastic. Some had small little FREE items. Couldnt they just plastic over the free item so you could still peek inside, lol?

Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Who do they think they are --- Playboy??? ;-)
    ROFL!! Of course some of us react to quilt pics the way guys react to Playboy - and it's tough to sell a mag with drool marks...

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Okay -- I confess, it irritates me so much, I've been known to open the plastic and look........ :oops: ;-) I don't tear it up....I do it so I can put it back. If they want to sell to me, I'm looking.... Haven't been thrown out of a store yet!
    Me too if I think I may want to buy it.Like you I am careful though. Perhaps if enough people did that, sealing them in polythene may stop.

Okay -- I confess, it irritates me so much, I've been known to open the plastic and look........ :oops: ;-) I don't tear it up....I do it so I can put it back. If they want to sell to me, I'm looking.... Haven't been thrown out of a store yet!
    Oh, OK...me, too :)

And I don't buy ones wrapped in plastic. Too many times I was so disappointed in the contents, that I simply refuse to buy them anymore. But if I'm really curious, I will cheat and look inside - although I do prefer to find one that someone else has opened!

I do like this one - it's the only one I subscribe to now.

Oops, was supposed to copy the comment about subscribing to American Patchwork. sorry...

Blog Entries
    Why do they do it? I was buying magazine quite frequently but have stopped because I am not paying $7.00 for a mag I may not get any use out of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    I never buy a magazine in a plastic bag. I like to check the patterns. Also, another plastic bag to be deposed of along with all those inserts that fall over the place.
    And now we know why they wrap in plastic --to keep all those annoying subscription cards in the magazine --why they need more than one is beyond me!

Blog Entries
    I wonder how many people open the plastic, neatly or not, and then buy the unopened one. If you open it you should buy the one you opened if you are going to purchase. At the price of these magazines these days I appreciate not having to worry about missing pages --some people think that because they are buying something else they can just tear out articles and put the mag back on the shelf.

you know, all this kvetching on the board is accomplishing nothing.
    If everyone emailed the magazines in question (they all must have websites with contact info) and simply said

"I wanted to buy your magazine this month but I did NOT, because I could not see what was in it."

you might reach someone who can DO something about it. And if you mentioned, I bought soandso magazine instead, because it WAS available to browse through, it would really drive the point home.

with the internet, it is so easy to contact large companies - and they DO pay attention. They will figure, for everyone who bothered to contact us, there are lots more who did not.

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    I just told DH this evening that I DIDN"T want to renew my F&P @ the end of the yr.[He always get it for Christmas]
    I received the BH&G and going to try it.?? I've liked it in the past. DH said the same thing about the plastic, are they Playboy??? lol lol
    I actually like the BH&G better than F&P.... :-D
    Thanks for the heads up on BH&G, Dee............

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP
    I wonder how many people open the plastic, neatly or not, and then buy the unopened one. If you open it you should buy the one you opened if you are going to purchase. At the price of these magazines these days I appreciate not having to worry about missing pages --some people think that because they are buying something else they can just tear out articles and put the mag back on the shelf.
    I do buy the one I have opened, I only open if I am fairly sure but not certain I want to buy.

I point blank refuse to buy a magazine in a plastic bag. Based on what I've seen lately particularly from Fons & Porter the plastic bag is usually hiding a severe lack of contents.
    If I remember I send an e-mail to customer service to say they lost a sale.
    I think if they read all the threads on this board on this very subject they'd stop doing it.
    And I agree with those who say if they really wanted to see it, they would open it. But since it just annoys the dickens out of me it's a long time since I was tempted to open one!

Yup, I'm annoyed by the plastic wrap. Really don't want the cd that they include - I get way better tips here! So I may well end up with a magazine that doesn't really interest me, plus the wrapper and cd go in the trash...

If the cover looks really interesting, I'll go home & check their website to see if I can see any more info to make the decision as to whether or not to get the magazine next time I'm in the store. Usually, I just forget about it & don't buy it!

I stopped my quilt mag subscriptions a couple of years ago.
    The last quilting mag that came I looked through it page by page with the intent of seeing just how much value it held for me. I used the little sticky markers for something of interest.
    When I was finished there were 2 sticky markers. They were for 2 paid for ads. They were the only 2 things of interest to me in that whole mag. That done it for me.
    The rest of my non-quilting magazines will not be renewed either.
    Pretty much feel the same about most quilting books as well. I could never use all the patterns I have accumulated, no matter how long I might live.

Some of us guys also drool over the quilt magazines :-) ROFL.....

I love the way you think....I'll be doing this in the future. I'm so tired of getting magazines home and being disappointed with the contents :)

Blog Entries
    I confess that I do that, too. Just as a service to other customer you understand!

When I first started quilting a few years ago I bought nearly all the quilting magazines on a monthly basis, not anymore. I now find them a bit boring, most of the quilts they feature seem to be more or less the same and the last half of the magazines are filled with the same adverts month after month.
    I find that by coming on here I can learn so much more from you ladies and get more inspired by looking at other peoples quilts then I ever could from magazines.
    About the plastic cover issue, why can't they have one copy of the magazine unwrapped but with a sticker on the front page stating DISPLAY COPY ONLY, then at least you could see the contents before buying?

Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Who do they think they are --- Playboy??? ;-)
    Haha. I second that statement...

Well I have never opened one before but think I will! LOL Why not...(Unless it has a cd with it and could get lost..Then I wouldn't...)But otherwise you have the right to see what you are buying!

I pick up the mag and look at the cover then look at the price and quickly stick it back on the shelf. I go home, sign on here, hit search, find what I was looking for and it's free.

I sent them a contact us email....

I agree putting magazines in a plastic bag is a pain. I want
    to see what I'm getting.
    I subscribe to Fons & Porter, the last issue had a catalog for "Woman Within" in the middle. What's up with that?? What
    does that have to do with quilting?
    After my subscription expires I won't renew.

That works for me too -- coming here and asking how to do something instead of buying the magazine:lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast