Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult? >

Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult?

Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM

I have just purchased the Wonder Under for the first time. So glad I saw this post before trying it out. Thanks to each of you for your experiences. Am sure you have just contributed to my sanity. Best to all. :roll:
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 AM

I've used Steam-A-Seam II and didn't like it very much. But I had great success with Wonder Under Lite. It DOES make a big diffrence when you wash your material first. I don't do it for regular quilting so I figured I didn't have to do it for applique. Wrong! When I started hand washing my fabric in the sink & rolling it in a towel to remove moisture, then handing it up to dry I had much better results with fusing.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM

Another tip is to store your unused fusible in a zip lock bag to keep it from drying out. The fusible will separate from the paper before you wish to use it if it becomes too dry. This happens with wonder under as well as steam a seam
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I have used Wonder Under for a long time and was wondering, did you wait until it cooled before peeling the paper off? I have never had a problem but I know it must be cool. Good Luck
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Maybe you have your iron too hot???
Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I have done very little work with fusibles and just this week used Wonder Under for the first time. I've used a soft fuse type product before and it was very easy to work with but didn't hold the edges of the fabric as much as I would have liked. There was still more fraying than I cared for. So for my current project I opted for Wonder Under. I followed the directions which are simple enough, 5-8 seconds with the iron on the wrong side of the fabric, peel paper and fuse to other fabric. The problem was peeling the paper off. When I first did all my fusing the 5-8 seconds obviously wasn't enough because when I tried to peel the paper the fusible came off with it instead of sticking to the fabric. I put the iron to it for about 10 more seconds and that made the fusible stick to the fabric but it was a battle to get the paper peeled back. I really had to mangle the corner to get the paper started peeling. The corners didn't matter for this project but I can't imagine if the whole shape was something I was going to use and one part was all picked at where I had to peel back the paper.

Is this typical with a fusible, did I get a bad batch or was it operator error?
;-)
Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Ya know...sometimes you get an "old" package out of the store. Maybe you can take it back for a replacement. Just a thought.
Good luck...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Dkm

Remember the LET COOL. Sometimes I get in a hurry and forget to let it cool, and it doesn't want to peel nicely.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 AM

I recently had a similar problem with my wonderunder. I thought maybe because it is a couple of years old.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM

I have been using Steam2Seam -- which has 2 sticky sides, so no ironing until time to fuse the applique -- it also comes in a litle version
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Have you tried putting a piece of tape on the corner of the paper and using it to lift the corner and start the peeling process?