Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult? >

Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult?

Wonder Under, is it supposed to be this difficult?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I have done very little work with fusibles and just this week used Wonder Under for the first time. I've used a soft fuse type product before and it was very easy to work with but didn't hold the edges of the fabric as much as I would have liked. There was still more fraying than I cared for. So for my current project I opted for Wonder Under. I followed the directions which are simple enough, 5-8 seconds with the iron on the wrong side of the fabric, peel paper and fuse to other fabric. The problem was peeling the paper off. When I first did all my fusing the 5-8 seconds obviously wasn't enough because when I tried to peel the paper the fusible came off with it instead of sticking to the fabric. I put the iron to it for about 10 more seconds and that made the fusible stick to the fabric but it was a battle to get the paper peeled back. I really had to mangle the corner to get the paper started peeling. The corners didn't matter for this project but I can't imagine if the whole shape was something I was going to use and one part was all picked at where I had to peel back the paper.

Is this typical with a fusible, did I get a bad batch or was it operator error?
Did you make sure to wash any sizing or starch out of your fabric before applying the fusible?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I think I just learned what the biggest problem was; I didn't prewash this fabric. It's for a wallhanging, something the kids are going to be using and I just didn't feel like going through the extra step of washing. I will remember this for future reference though. If using fusibles they like washed fabric. :)

Thanks everyone!
And don't use a dryer sheet or fabric softeners...they just add chemicals back onto the fabric again and cancel out the washing process as far as fusibles are concerned. ;)
Old 08-12-2011, 05:18 PM

I taught a class at a quilt shop once and we were using Wonderunder fusible. It was the most miserable fusible I had ever used having used Steam a Seam before.Come to find out they had a bad batch and the quilt shop was just lucky enough to get 2 of those bolts for the class that I taught. Fusibles will also go "bad" over a period of time too.
Check with the place you purchased it from and see if they have had any complaints and I would also send an email to the company and tell them the situation you are having. Probably not much they can do but I did write them after my incident and they sent me 2 new bolts to replace the bad ones.
Don't give up, it will work out
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Only time I've ever had a really bad problem is when my dh had used fabric softener in the wash. I was recouping from surgery and he thought he would wash some new fabric for me.
I also score the paper and peel from the center when I use fusible of any kind.
Hope this helps.
Ann W. in Indiana
Old 08-13-2011, 12:27 AM

I score the paper and that seems to work. I have used other fusibles but really like the Wonder Under.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 AM

I use Wonder Under all the time and do many machine applique quilts and wall hangings. I have found that you CANNOT remove the Wonder Under immediately from the fabric. I know this will sound crazy, but in the summer when the window air conditioner is on, I hold the fabric in front of the unit until it is completely cold. You will hear the paper 'snap' when you fold it over, then it will remove instantly. I also put it in the freezer when I don't want to wait a couple of hours or even overnight.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Regarding the separation of Wonder Under from the release paper before you're ready to use it...since you can make Misty Fuse (a normally paperless fusible) into a paper backed fusible by ironing it between two sheets of parchment paper, letting it cool and then removing one of the sheets of paper, why wouldn't that work with detached Wonder Under? Just layer it between the parchment and the release paper and press (Reynolds parchment is recommended, fusibles stick to some other brands).

The web is still good even if it's loose, btw, and works great cut into small pieces for quilt sandwich basting if you don't want to use it for appliqué.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM

i had a problem with it also , i switched to steam a seam and love it
Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
I've always used wonder-under. and last time I used itfound it a bit difficult to pull off when I wanted it to, and it came off the paper before I wanted it too - or when trying to peel it off the paper not at all... last time I went to buy some they didnt have any, so I bought heat and bond lite. It's much easier to peel off, and doesn't release from the paper too soon, but has a much stiffer finish. I'm undecided which one I prefer.
My experience w/Wonder Under was horrible: same problem as above. However, I don't really like Heat & Bond either. While it's easier to peel, I don't think it fuses/holds as well. Steam a Seam is my favorite but I do very little fusing.