Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A wonderful quilting show idea >

A wonderful quilting show idea

A wonderful quilting show idea

Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default A wonderful quilting show idea

I just read the neatest idea on a facebook quilting group -- a quilting show done like "Chopped" or The British Baking Show" where the contestants would be given a basket of supplies and a certain amount of time to make a quilted item from them to be judged for creativity, technique, etc. I think this would also make a great retreat day or guild program. Even a shop could do something like this as an event day.
Who would we pitch it to for TV? Anybody know somebody?!!
I'd watch it for sure; what fun!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:14 AM

I've been involved in things like that where you are given an "ugly" fabric and have to come back the next month having done something to it.

BTW, I haven't seen it yet but there is a British Sewing Show!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...ish_Sewing_Bee
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Yes, Jan... that is an interesting idea. thanks for sharing
Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Here are you tubes of The Great British Sewing Bee but they don't seem to be in order. Does anyone know a site that has them in order that we could watch for free?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zbvf6TxfSOi54P
Old 01-16-2020, 10:13 AM

I think it would be fun as a guild workshop or retreat day. Keep it in the circle of quilters. I really enjoy going to shows and seeing all of the challenge projects and how they are interpreted.

But maybe a TV show like that would do more harm than good. You know, people who are not quilters already don't understand the time/ materials/ cost that quilters expend, and then to see a show that somebody has created or made something in an hour (even with time lapse) would then be open license for all our acquaintances to think we can 'whip' up a quilt for the next baby shower on Sunday!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
......maybe a TV show like that would do more harm than good. You know, people who are not quilters already don't understand the time/ materials/ cost that quilters expend, and then to see a show that somebody has created or made something in an hour (even with time lapse) would then be open license for all our acquaintances to think we can 'whip' up a quilt for the next baby shower on Sunday!
I don't know; do you think there are more people who bake as a hobby than there are sewists/quilters? What about that Japanese cooking show? That's what's cool about the television media, there are so many different kinds of people and hobbies and interests.

As shown by the Summary of Quilting in America 2017, it was a $3.7 billion dollar industry with 7-10 million quilters, and that was three years ago! It has grown every year. https://fabshopnet.com/wp-content/up...ia_summary.pdf

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-16-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Excellent point! There's something for everyone on TV, even lesser populated hobbies.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

I never watched Project Runway but people were interested in that. And I don't know how recent the Fons & Porter Love of Quilting is but if they did a couple of episodes doing it I know I would watch.
For me it's fun to see how other quilters work. I don't think I would want to participate because I am not truly creative but love to learn from others.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM

Yes, Jan! That would be so fun.

I watched a quilting competition just like that online, a couple of years ago. l wish I could remember which quilt shop sponsored it.

They posted a quilting competition in their shop that began with about a dozen or so quilters. Each week? (I think), they were given a theme,or challenge - then they chose their fabrics (and / or used fabrics they were given at the shop), and stitched up small / wall size quilts in the shop, right then. They were given just a few hours, and were then judged in the shop.

Same 4 judges each week.
One person was eliminated, and the remaining contestants were given a new theme or challenge, that was then judged the same day.

And so on until only 2 were left. At that point, the last 2 quilters were given a final challenge, and went home to complete it in a week.

I can't remember which shop it was. I think it may have been held at a quilt shop at or near the Northeastern part of the USA.
All the contestants did such beautiful work, in such a short period of time, It was impressive, and I imagine very difficult to judge.
So fun! I wish they would do it again.

Last edited by mindless; 01-16-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
......I watched a quilting competition just like that online, a couple of years ago. l wish I could remember which quilt shop sponsored it. They posted a quilting competition in their shop that began with about a dozen or so quilters. Each week? (I think), they were given a theme,or challenge - then they chose their fabrics (and / or used fabrics they were given at the shop), and stitched up small / wall size quilts in the shop, right then. They were given just a few hours, and were then judged in the shop. Same 4 judges each week. One person was eliminated......
How I'd have loved to have seen that!!
I'm too slow to want to be in a competition like this; my creativity is fine, but I just work slowly. (Don't read "meticulously, though!)