Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wonky block >

wonky block

wonky block

Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I like where you put the ruler at an angle and cut. Would you then sew the pieces you cut off together for a border? Just my thoughts.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM

will this help http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...s_10092012.pdf
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM

I have to go with Tartan's method, it wastes a little fabric(use later in a scrappy) but you get a perfect wonky block every time. If you want a double border, just add another row of fabric and lay a bigger square on there wonky or not.
If you want to do it the other way Marguerita has a video showing how to do it :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz90AMsLWyY

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 03-08-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM

I cut rectangles, and cut them in half lengthwise. Try some on scrap blocks, sometimes it takes a couple tries to get the length right. You loose a lot in the seams, and you want the points to come out right at the corners.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
but the 6" blocks are already made. If we could see what has been done then it will be easier to give suggestions. It appears they are not wonky now. So, what needs to be done to make them wonky.
that is correct Holice.. the 6" is already made and I added the 3" boarder so now I want them on the 'tilt' wonky.. so thats where I'm stuck... lol...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am sure the math wizards have some nifty way to do it but I do mine the easy way. It wastes a little fabric but saves some brain cells. I sew 3 inch strips to all sides of my center block. I lay my square ruler on top but turn it to get the wonky angle and trim.
What you cut off to make it wonky can be used on other sides by flipping in the direction to square it back up! (If you get what I mean)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am sure the math wizards have some nifty way to do it but I do mine the easy way. It wastes a little fabric but saves some brain cells. I sew 3 inch strips to all sides of my center block. I lay my square ruler on top but turn it to get the wonky angle and trim.
YES Tartan.. this is what I mean BUT my inner block is already 6" with the added 3" boarder.. and I just can't seem to figure this dang thing out.. lol... I am sooo brain dead.. I've been working on this for, well including today 3 days now. My hubby is getting pretty frustrated with me cuz he is suggesting and I'm telling him nope that is wrong.. lol.. and shedding tons of tears.. sooo back to the drawing board I guess
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

The reason you see my 6 inch ruler on top of the paper is because I wanted the sample to fit the lined piece of paper I grabbed. (Half scale for a 12 inch block) I actually use my large 15 inch square and use painter's tape at the size block I want. I lay my big ruler over the block to see where I want the wonky to be, cut the 2 exposed sides, flip the ruler, lining up the cut sides with the tape and cut the 2 remaining sides.
This method does leave you with the edges of the block not on the straight of grain so handle gently and use starch.

Last edited by Tartan; 03-08-2013 at 06:14 AM.