Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wooden spools

I would probly donate them to a church for vacation bible school kids to make stuff with.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

As a child we made dolls out of them. We used a very heavy thread or thin wire putting buttons at the end of the arms, feet and big button for a hat.

I purchased a wooden spool Christmas tree ornament at a quilt show once. It had painted flowers on it. Every year I take it out and just love it!

My sister-in-law, who collects antiques, told me they would be valuable some day.

Blog Entries
    You could send them to me. hehehehe and I'll pay postage.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Beautiful Spool ornaments

check out www.makeminebeautiful.blogspot.com there, are directions for these BEAUTIFUL spool ornaments!! last year I make my 6 kids & spouses plus 14 grandchildren , all ornaments from spools. Lotsa' fun! And, it's getting towards that time..Christmas!!
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 07-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Hi Rita, YES, I have an idea for your spools...go to this link to see how to make wooden spool ornaments using fabric scraps!! Have fun!

http://www.favecrafts.com/Christmas-...Ornaments/ml/1

I placed most of mine in an old old big canning jug and made a lamp for my sewing room. I love it.

My friend had a what-not shelf made of wooden spools, very cute.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    so many ideas and uses .. Hope you find something that suits you !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I am thinking about making a thread spool garland for my mantle for the holidays.

My husband's grandfather made a table and used the larger wooden spools to make the legs...sounds weird now, but it looked really cool. He also made an inlaid top for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl View Post
    Hi everyone. I have many wooden spools. When I cleaned out my mother's apartment and my aunts house, I found a lot of spools of thread that have wooden spools. I have been gradually using up the thread and now have a stach of wooden spools. Does anyone know what I can do with them. Seems a shame to throw them away.
    Thanks
    Rita
    I took them to a kindergarten class. Also they like egg cartons and empty paper towel rolls.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

When i was in 4-H (way back in the dark ages ) I took shoestring and strung spools together to make a doll. I put it into a kit used for babysitting - now it hangs on a what-not shelf.

I'd take a picture, but the room is filled w/ stuff from my bedroom while i'm staining woodwork.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I also put mine in a 1/2 gallon jar & put 1 of those lamp tops on it. My spools still have the thread on so it is quite colorful. Someday, I'm going to cover the shade in quilt fabric.

Blog Entries
    I would like to string them on my deck as a project. If you have an abundance, I would be willing to purchase some or trade. Just let me know.

Ellie
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

There are great ideas on here and now if I only had the time.

I make my empty wooden spools into Christmas trees for the table. I love to make them! You use popsicle sticks as the base for each row of the tree. I take small scraps of green fabric and either tie the around the spools or cut them exact to the size of the spool and glue the fabric on. Them, on some I put a little button and I paint a wooden star for the top and put a button in the center. I've made wreaths too. You just use a styrofoam base and a lot of hot glue. if you ever want to part with some, I'd love them.

I really like that wreath. I have a couple of shoe boxes full of wooden spools - both mine and inherited ones. I test the thread and if it holds up, I use it, if not the spool with thread goes into the box. I could use the spools with colored thread on the wreath. I think I would use a wire wreath base and perhaps a styrofoam wreath base over that. The spools could be attached either with wire &/or glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
    check out www.makeminebeautiful.blogspot.com there, are directions for these BEAUTIFUL spool ornaments!! last year I make my 6 kids & spouses plus 14 grandchildren , all ornaments from spools. Lotsa' fun! And, it's getting towards that time..Christmas!!
    WOW - these are definitely something I can/will make! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    I have a bunch too. Unfortunately, most of the thread is too old to use. I have decided to decoupage some of them and use them as the knobs on the cabinets we recently put up in my sewing area. I think the different thread colors will be pretty.

Suze
    What a neat idea, sounds so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsbuying View Post
    I placed most of mine in an old old big canning jug and made a lamp for my sewing room. I love it.
    Another great idea, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    I make my empty wooden spools into Christmas trees for the table. I love to make them! You use popsicle sticks as the base for each row of the tree. I take small scraps of green fabric and either tie the around the spools or cut them exact to the size of the spool and glue the fabric on. Them, on some I put a little button and I paint a wooden star for the top and put a button in the center. I've made wreaths too. You just use a styrofoam base and a lot of hot glue. if you ever want to part with some, I'd love them.
    pictures please

Lots of good ideas. I only have a few. When I was using them all the time for sewing I would throw the empties away after the kids got done playing with them. I would test the thread before saying it was not good.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I love wooden spools. There are all kinds of things to do with them. I like making Christmas ornaments with them. Simple, inexpensive and unique. Google for a myriad of ideas. froggyintexas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast