Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool appliqué question >

Wool appliqué question

Wool appliqué question

Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Thank you ckcowl! Great info for a beginner.
I looked online for Perle cotton - very confusing. What brand do you like and weight for which look? Sorry for the newbie questions...lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:02 AM

I looked online for Perle cotton - very confusing. What brand do you like and weight for which look? Sorry for the newbie questions...lol.
Pearle Cotton is a DMC product. I use DMC floss left over from when I cross stitched. I use two or three strands.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy View Post
Pearle Cotton is a DMC product. I use DMC floss left over from when I cross stitched. I use two or three strands.
Perfect - I have lots of DMC. Thank you Olivia's Grammy - I bet you are an awesome Grammy!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM

Perfect - I have lots of DMC. Thank you Olivia's Grammy - I bet you are an awesome Grammy!
Well, my just turned 3 yo granddaughter thinks her Mimi is special. I wanted to be called Grammy, but when Olivia was 18 mo she started calling me Mimi. We thought it was bc she couldn't say her G's. Six months later we realized that she had in fact named me Mimi. I love it.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM

ck--That is one beautiful piece of work. Lovely, just lovely.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I use Wonder Under to fuse the pieces down, then use a Buttonhole stitch with #12 Perle cotton (I use Presencia brand) and a sharp needle with an eye large enough to thread the Perle cotton through. If the design requires embroidery stitches, I will sometimes use floss for that. Felted wool will not ravel, so the Wonder Under is not necessary to prevent raveling, but I do like the extra stability it adds. I don't use knots, but weave all ends into the stitches on the back. I also add an extra layer of wool to the back of the project, so as to hide all stitches and add stability.

To prevent "rolling" of the stitches, I lock down every third stitch with a tiny backstitch in the background wool. Works like a charm.

I don't wash my projects, but then I've only done small candle mats. If I ever did decide to wash something, I would do it by hand with no agitation so that the stitches wouldn't get messed up. And, I would never put it in the dryer!!!

ckcowl, that is a wonderful quilt!
my quilt has been machine washed *regular cycle* and machine dried in a regular hot dryer at least 6 times to date- it has held up just fine- in fact the pictures were taken after the 2nd or 3rd washing/drying. once the wools are felted they do not shrink more- and it comes out wonderfully fluffy/soft---it is a very cozy quilt (which unfortunately for now lives in a pillow case on a closet shelf- since we have a white cat who thinks i made it for him)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

there are a number of (brands) of perle cottons- DMC & Presencia are 2 fairly common easy to find brands.
i use a number of different sizes - my most often used are size 5, 8, 12 & 20-
as with other threads the higher the number the thinner the thread- 5 is fairly heavy & good for appliques that you really want the thread detail to show- 20 is quite thin (comparatively speaking) still heavier than embroidery floss- maybe the size of 2-3 strands of regular dmc embroidery floss.
here 's a pic on one i used #5 on- the bottom flower is #5 for the flower, #8 for the stem
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345714[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345715[/ATTACH]this one was appliqued down with #12, the embroidery is done with #8

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345716[/ATTACH]this one used all 4 sizes i have
Attached Thumbnails wool-appl-blocks.jpg   hawaiian-wool.jpg   january-crazy-block.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

it has been brought to my attention that sometimes it is difficult to locate balls of perle cotton threads- seems to be a (location matters) thing- some areas just are into more (modern) things- a couple more (brands) are: Valdani; Finca; and Anchor
a couple sources are:
ThreadArt.com
Pieceocake.com (they sell variety packs which are kind of nice to get)
CraftConn.com
herrschners.com
to find more- browse (needle work sites - like cross-stitch /needle arts suppliers)
i am lucky enough to have a couple lqs's that carry handdyed/felted wools & threads to work with them. I have seen sets of perle cotton balls at places like Joannes, hobby lobby & ben franklin crafts.