Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wool appliqué question

  1. #1
    Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,419

    Wool appliqué question

    I am wanting to start doing some felted wool appliqué. My question is do you do a regular appliqué stitch before you do the fancy blanket stitch, or is the blanket stitch sufficient to hold the appliqué piece?

    Do you have any other hints for felted wool appliqué that I should know? I have purchased several wool jackets, skirts, etc. at Goodwill and I have felted them. I am ready to start doing some appliqué!

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    28
    I usually use some sort of wunder under and then do the blanket stitch
    have fun

  3. #3
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    I have trouble with my blanket stitch getting twisted and looking terrible after it's been washed, it holds well, just doesn't look good.

  4. #4
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    i've never used any type of fusable on my wool projects- i just pin where i need to hold the pieces - or hold them in place with my fingers- generally i just do a blanket stitch- my big wool appliqued (backyard gathering) quilt has been washed a few times- it has not suffered any adverse effects from using a blanket stitch
    Name:  backyard gathering.JPG
Views: 1368
Size:  857.6 KB
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  5. #5
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just pin the applique on, but I pin from the underneath side so the thread doesn't get as tangle around the pins.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i've never used any type of fusable on my wool projects- i just pin where i need to hold the pieces - or hold them in place with my fingers- generally i just do a blanket stitch- my big wool appliqued (backyard gathering) quilt has been washed a few times- it has not suffered any adverse effects from using a blanket stitch
    Name:  backyard gathering.JPG
Views: 1368
Size:  857.6 KB
    What thread and needle do you use? three strands of DMC? Not sure how to start. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!
    Linda

  7. #7
    Senior Member bigdogmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    337
    I did some Candlemas and a mantle scarf. I used freezer paper for my patterns but then just pinned them on and used pearl cotton to stitch (blanket stitch). Also, to ckcowl:your quilt is beautiful!
    Celia

  8. #8
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    i prefer Perle Cotton for wool applique- i do have some wool flosses which i also use if the color is right- the wool floss is not shiny like the perle cotton- i have about 100 colors in perle cottons- and 3 different weights and very much like working with it. as for needles- i use a size 22 chenille -often- at times i do use a different size- but generally chenille needles- they have a sharp point- good length for working with thicker fabrics & a large eye to make threading the thicker flosses/threads easy.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i prefer Perle Cotton for wool applique- i do have some wool flosses which i also use if the color is right- the wool floss is not shiny like the perle cotton- i have about 100 colors in perle cottons- and 3 different weights and very much like working with it. as for needles- i use a size 22 chenille -often- at times i do use a different size- but generally chenille needles- they have a sharp point- good length for working with thicker fabrics & a large eye to make threading the thicker flosses/threads easy.
    Thank you ckcowl! Great info for a beginner.
    Linda

  10. #10
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564
    I use Wonder Under to fuse the pieces down, then use a Buttonhole stitch with #12 Perle cotton (I use Presencia brand) and a sharp needle with an eye large enough to thread the Perle cotton through. If the design requires embroidery stitches, I will sometimes use floss for that. Felted wool will not ravel, so the Wonder Under is not necessary to prevent raveling, but I do like the extra stability it adds. I don't use knots, but weave all ends into the stitches on the back. I also add an extra layer of wool to the back of the project, so as to hide all stitches and add stability.

    To prevent "rolling" of the stitches, I lock down every third stitch with a tiny backstitch in the background wool. Works like a charm.

    I don't wash my projects, but then I've only done small candle mats. If I ever did decide to wash something, I would do it by hand with no agitation so that the stitches wouldn't get messed up. And, I would never put it in the dryer!!!

    ckcowl, that is a wonderful quilt!

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Thank you ckcowl! Great info for a beginner.
    I looked online for Perle cotton - very confusing. What brand do you like and weight for which look? Sorry for the newbie questions...lol.
    Linda

  12. #12
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I looked online for Perle cotton - very confusing. What brand do you like and weight for which look? Sorry for the newbie questions...lol.
    Pearle Cotton is a DMC product. I use DMC floss left over from when I cross stitched. I use two or three strands.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy View Post
    Pearle Cotton is a DMC product. I use DMC floss left over from when I cross stitched. I use two or three strands.
    Perfect - I have lots of DMC. Thank you Olivia's Grammy - I bet you are an awesome Grammy!
    Linda

  14. #14
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Perfect - I have lots of DMC. Thank you Olivia's Grammy - I bet you are an awesome Grammy!
    Well, my just turned 3 yo granddaughter thinks her Mimi is special. I wanted to be called Grammy, but when Olivia was 18 mo she started calling me Mimi. We thought it was bc she couldn't say her G's. Six months later we realized that she had in fact named me Mimi. I love it.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Missouri
    Posts
    6,164
    ck--That is one beautiful piece of work. Lovely, just lovely.

  16. #16
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I use Wonder Under to fuse the pieces down, then use a Buttonhole stitch with #12 Perle cotton (I use Presencia brand) and a sharp needle with an eye large enough to thread the Perle cotton through. If the design requires embroidery stitches, I will sometimes use floss for that. Felted wool will not ravel, so the Wonder Under is not necessary to prevent raveling, but I do like the extra stability it adds. I don't use knots, but weave all ends into the stitches on the back. I also add an extra layer of wool to the back of the project, so as to hide all stitches and add stability.

    To prevent "rolling" of the stitches, I lock down every third stitch with a tiny backstitch in the background wool. Works like a charm.

    I don't wash my projects, but then I've only done small candle mats. If I ever did decide to wash something, I would do it by hand with no agitation so that the stitches wouldn't get messed up. And, I would never put it in the dryer!!!

    ckcowl, that is a wonderful quilt!
    my quilt has been machine washed *regular cycle* and machine dried in a regular hot dryer at least 6 times to date- it has held up just fine- in fact the pictures were taken after the 2nd or 3rd washing/drying. once the wools are felted they do not shrink more- and it comes out wonderfully fluffy/soft---it is a very cozy quilt (which unfortunately for now lives in a pillow case on a closet shelf- since we have a white cat who thinks i made it for him)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  17. #17
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I looked online for Perle cotton - very confusing. What brand do you like and weight for which look? Sorry for the newbie questions...lol.
    there are a number of (brands) of perle cottons- DMC & Presencia are 2 fairly common easy to find brands.
    i use a number of different sizes - my most often used are size 5, 8, 12 & 20-
    as with other threads the higher the number the thinner the thread- 5 is fairly heavy & good for appliques that you really want the thread detail to show- 20 is quite thin (comparatively speaking) still heavier than embroidery floss- maybe the size of 2-3 strands of regular dmc embroidery floss.
    here 's a pic on one i used #5 on- the bottom flower is #5 for the flower, #8 for the stem
    Name:  wool appl blocks.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  815.6 KB

    Name:  hawaiian wool.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  919.4 KBthis one was appliqued down with #12, the embroidery is done with #8

    Name:  january crazy block.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  782.4 KBthis one used all 4 sizes i have
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  18. #18
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    it has been brought to my attention that sometimes it is difficult to locate balls of perle cotton threads- seems to be a (location matters) thing- some areas just are into more (modern) things- a couple more (brands) are: Valdani; Finca; and Anchor
    a couple sources are:
    ThreadArt.com
    Pieceocake.com (they sell variety packs which are kind of nice to get)
    CraftConn.com
    herrschners.com
    to find more- browse (needle work sites - like cross-stitch /needle arts suppliers)
    i am lucky enough to have a couple lqs's that carry handdyed/felted wools & threads to work with them. I have seen sets of perle cotton balls at places like Joannes, hobby lobby & ben franklin crafts.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.