Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting Question >

Wool Batting Question

Wool Batting Question

Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Wool Batting Question

Hi, Quilters,

I've been experimenting with different batting types over the last week or so. For my corduroy black and red quilt, I really wanted a smoother and flatter look. As much as I love the feel of cotton and cotton/bamboo batting, the crinkled look post-wash didn't look right with my corduroy. As an experiment, I tried polyester premium felt. It looked smooth, but didn't really have the drape I wanted for a blanket. Also, some folks on this site warned me that felt might not hold up after multiple washings. For the moment, I'm pretty set on polyester batting, which only crinkles the tiniest bit after wash and still has a nice drape.

I'm basted and ready to quilt, but before I do I thought I'd throw out one last question: has anyone worked with wool batting? I know it's fussy to wash, but if it's preshrunk, will I get the smooth, flat look?

I want this throw to be pendleton-blanket warm, so I don't mind it getting heavy. And, I'm definitely married to the idea of the quilting this throw, not tying.

As always, thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I've used wool batting. The only thing 'fussy' about laundering it is that you should not use hot water, which you probably wouldn't do with many quilts anyway. It's wonderful, more loft than cotton, and about the same weight and it breathes.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:37 PM

agreed about the washing part. the new batts are awesome!

but...it does crinkle more than a poly would, for sure. not as much as a pure cotton, but it does do that quilt thing

aileen
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks! That helps a lot!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM

If you want it flat, with no "after launder" crinkling ... consider using flannel as batting (pre-washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer ... twice if needed ... assuming your corduroy is also pre-washed)

It's warm
It remains flat ... quilting is almost invisible
Can quilt pretty far apart as its a woven fabric
No crinkling
The most wonderful "drape" on a quilt I've ever seen/felt
Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Flannel as batting? I wonder if that's the answer. I'll do a test run tonight. Thanks, Sue. I hadn't thought of that!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

i LOVE wool battings! they are not 'fussy' at all for laundering- in fact wash up better than cotton- the Dream Wool & the Hobbs Wool batts do not shrink like cotton batting- is light & lofty, breaths, is a dream to work with ... If I could afford it I would use Wool battings in all of my quilts. the drape is wonderful, they needle beautifully- when the quilt is laundered it is lofty, fluffy, soft & cozy. if you are looking for 'flat' try warm & natural or a 50/50 poly/cotton blend with scrim- those are low loft = flat- dense batts.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM

I'm going to try fleece as batting when I'm looking for low-loft. Haven't done it yet, but I've got some on order.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by asabrinao View Post
Flannel as batting? I wonder if that's the answer. I'll do a test run tonight. Thanks, Sue. I hadn't thought of that!
yup!! It's my go-to batting for baby quilts. nothing is as soft and cuddly. Most battings have some stiffness to it, not flannel. You could wrap it around a baby's finger and not see a fold.