Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool batting ? >

Wool batting ?

Wool batting ?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
jan and quiltmaker, thanks for the washing info. i was afraid to do that. do you use softener also? to fluff it out?
Nope, never have used softener on any laundry, don't like the heavy perfume and slicky/soft feel of it in fabrics. Drying the quilt slightly in the dryer, then drying a bit more on air setting, then fluffing it out over all the furniture to finish drying before I go to bed works just fine for me. :D
Jan in VA
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE THE WOOL BATTS!!!
they are wonderful to work with, DO NOT SHRINK, are machine washable and dryable; needle beautifully; have a wonderful loft, lightweight, but warm...and being inside a quilt there is no itch factor to worry about.
around here a queen wool batt runs $30-$40 depending on the shop. I have not seen any at joannes. i would read the packaging well and see what it says about laundering and about how close you have to quilt it, i'm sure not all are created equal. i have only used Dream Wool, and Hobbs heirloom wool. both were absolutely fabulous! if i could afford it i wouldn't use any thing else.:)
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

the bed quilt on my bed is a whole cloth all white, cotton top, flannel back wool batting...people LOVE this quilt even though to me it's nothing special, just two pieces of fabric with batting and an all over swirly quilting design...i have tossed this quilt into the washer (regular cycle) and the dryer regular cotton setting and it has always come out just beautifully. i do not tend to treat my bed quilts ... special... i wash and dry them, if they do not hold up i learn why and make a new one. but the white one has been washed and dried numerous times in the past couple years and it is just as fabulous now as it was when it was first made. soft and fluffy, beautiful. i used the dream wool batting. no special treatment is necessary. :-D
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
jan and quiltmaker, thanks for the washing info. i was afraid to do that. do you use softener also? to fluff it out?

This just goes to we all have our preferences.....Jan doesn't use fabric softener.....on the other hand I always use the fabric softener sheets.

There are as many ways of doing things as their are people on this board.....and none of them or right/wrong..... just a different way.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 AM

I'm sure glad to hear all the good things about the Hobbs wool batting. I ordered some for a special quilt and am hoping it might arrive today!