Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool fabric question >

Wool fabric question

Wool fabric question

Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 AM

Default Wool fabric question

I would like to try making a wool quilt or two and I can't seem to find any information about buying wool for quilt tops. I currently stick with the 100% cotton "rule" (knowing that quilting rules are all meant to be broken) but I have no idea what I'm looking for with wool yardage. Is it anything goes or do some wools work up more easily than others? Can any wool be used for applique with a blanket stitch finish or do some wools need a more secure appliqued edge? Any links or book recommendations for working with wool would be great, also.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I usually shop at a LQS that has what is called felted wool. I use the glue stick to keep applique pieces in place and then do a blanket stitch using my Bernina. I recently bought a quilt magazine with a pattern I want to make for the front door. Otherwise, I have always made my own patterns.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Other than using wool batting I have not used wool in a quilt so can't be any help. However I have made the mistake of washing a wool garment and having it shrink up to half the original size, so just from that experience I would think you would need to find washable wool or pre-shrink it before cutting if you are using it in a quilt that will be laundered. If for an art piece or wall hanging, this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Are you planning on a patchwork type wool quilt? Or,an applique wool quilt? There are many, many books and patterns on the market for working with wool--along with websites with lots of inspiration,hints,tips and help. If you are wanting to purchase wool yardage be prepared to pay anywhere from $20--$60 per yard! Which is why many of us who work with wool tend to recycle (deconstruct) clothing for our wools. Visit *woolcentral.com; primitive gatherings; Sue Spargo; the wool lady; check quilting magazines and websites for links/resources...There are many places listed. Also,since it is*festival season* check your area for a * Fiber Festival* you can find some wonderful wool at a festival sometimes for great deals. I am at work so can not give you actual names of books- I have a couple dozen wool quilting books- another resource is the "Woolstreet Journal" magazine
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Wool comes in as many "shapes and sizes" as cotton fabrics.

It can be knitted (sweaters) or woven (think Pendleton shirts) - matted/felted (think hats)

Felted wool has the fibers snarled together so the piece will not unravel.

Knitted items can run, just like a pair of nylons. The wovens can vary - thread/yarn size, tightness of the weave.

Wools can also be blended with man-made fibers. Some of these are very washable. Pendleton woven wool is also washable - but does require some care - many sheep get wet and they don't seem to shrink - but most of them are not agitated in hot soapy water - nor dried in a hot drier for an hour or two.

The type of wool one would use would depend on the project.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

A lot of men's old wool suits were recyled into quilts way back when.