Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Ironing Board Cover DIY? >

Wool Ironing Board Cover DIY?

Wool Ironing Board Cover DIY?

Old 01-01-2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Here's more info on pressing on wool. I have found it does make ironing go faster.
https://suzyquilts.com/an-honest-rev...pressing-mats/
That was very informative. Thank you for sharing with me. I'll have to try one next time I see one on sale. Thank you so much.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by deborahscanlon View Post
I've been taught is if something isn't pressing well, press on something hard not soft.
Wool pressing mats are not soft, they are very firm. I personally think they work well in combination with steam pressing to make crisp seams and flat blocks.

I also think if you wanted to make a homemade one, you'd be better off with either wool padding from a rug store, or old wool blankets, than you would be with wool batting. You'd have to do a lot of compression of a lot of layers of batting to get the desired results, I would think. I'd rather use wool batting in quilts.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-01-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:28 AM

Default Ironing pad wool

Originally Posted by deborahscanlon View Post
That is what I thought too. Also, I don't understand the wool craze. I don't own a wool pressing pad so I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on its value since what I've been taught is if something isn't pressing well, press on something hard not soft. Maybe someone could enlighten me on the value of wool.
Wool is what ironing board pads USED to be made of in the old days of quality over price. Moved to felt in the 70's, then cheaper yet foam. Wool is the best tool for the job It lets steam go through fabrics without rotting or compressing like felt, doesn't deteriorate like foam. Also less germy/moldy wool can handle hot/wet. Presses better too. Good luck, square mats are nice to use to not get up to iron at each section, but a stretch can be comfortable after too much sitting. Have an elegant day.