Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Pressing Mat or Steady Betty? >

Wool Pressing Mat or Steady Betty?

Wool Pressing Mat or Steady Betty?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:21 AM

This will be down to personal preference. I haven't seen the "Steady Betty" but looking at the product, i would personally stick with the natural wool pad rather than the Betty board. Bothers me that it is mentioned as a special fabric and not how it's been treated & processed (important to me these days). I've used a 17 x 24" wool pad most of this year and i give it a big
Old 09-02-2020, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Quiltingcandy - that was the size I was thinking about and you just confirmed it - it will be nice to have it either on my on my little side table by my machine or on the ironing board for general pressing.

Did you find that when using steam did the underside get really damp?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:24 AM

Hooligan - Yes I was not sure if I should go with the 17x14 or the larger 17x24.
I definitely agree with you about being concerned about what chemicals are used in making different products and I have a son & DIL who are very particular and aware about it. - they are always telling me to be very cautious about it.

Last edited by costumegirl; 09-02-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 AM

Pick a size that will work where you want to out it. I keep mine on a small table next to my sewing machine. The 17x14 size fits with an inch or so margin all around.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 AM

I just grabbed what was available locally but happy i ended up with the larger size. As for dampness, of course it happens. I use a heat pad underneath to soak up the excess moisture and then just lift the mat up when finished to air it out (usually have a small gentle fan on it also at this time). Don't find it a hassle at all.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:33 AM

I have both. Like the Steady Betty for bias, however, the Steady Betty foam deteriorates over time. Also, you cannot store it anywhere near sun light, it discolors and causes damage to the foam. (ask me how I know). The wool mats will last forever.
I have several in addition to a horse pad, same as wool mat, slightly thinner but works great too.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I covered my ironing board from end to end with a wool mat, cut to fit. It put a loose weave muslin fabric cover on top. Seems over the last few years I have become wool mat rich. I got one from my secret pal, one for a door prize at a quilt shop, and I won two of them from Facebook drawings and I had bought one as soon as I saw it in the quilt shop some years ago when no one really knew what they were.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:31 PM

Love my wool mat. I have been impressed with how well I am "now pressing." I thought it would just be another "one of those got to have it" and would be disappointed. I would buy it again.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:34 PM

My wool mat is hung on a hangar with clips after every use. I hang it on the edge of my TV stand. So if it is damp it dries easily. (Living in the San Diego area when have a pretty dry climate.)
Old 09-13-2020, 01:34 AM

I ordered a wool mat online from a site that makes table pads from 100% wool, and will cut to size, so I measured where it would go and ordered that size specifically.
It wasn't expensive, if I recall they are made in the USA, did not have too smooth a surface so I covered it in a couple of layers of old silk organza (which I also use for a pressing cloth).
What bothered me at first was a slight odor like old socks or wool (imagine that) when I was pressing - after a short while it faded. I don't have the website name anymore though.