Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool quilts >

Wool quilts

Wool quilts

Old 04-15-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Wool quilts

I am returning to quilting after many years away. I am in an experimental state of mind about quilting now and so have a question regarding making quilts out of wool. I am planning to make a wholecloth quilt out of a lightweight blanket wool and am wondering what recommendations for batting would be given that my top material is quite heavy. I do want this to be a very warm, heavy quilt, but am thinking that there might not be batting thin enough to avoid it being too puffy. Would a flannel sheet be appropriate for this? I'm planning to back it with a linen/cotton blend that is fairly lightweight though not as thin as typical quilting cotton.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:43 PM

I have a friend who worked a lot of folk style wool applique. Mostly she did wall hangings and more art work, but she did do bed sized projects as well. Typically she preferred to have something for her quilting stitches to bite into and show off her applique. She typically felted/washed her wool -- the tightness of the weave can lead to additional questions about the choice of an inner layer.

Depending on what you want to do with the quilting, flannel is often a good thin layer. You might also look at the silk or wool batts.

On the other side of things, I've used old green army blankets as the batting layer and find it very nice to work with. Again, a nice bite and drape but not too much weight or fluff.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:39 PM

I would think a light weight flannel would do the trick. Be sure to wash the flannel so you manage any shrinkage that happens when using the flannel before you quilt your pieces together.