Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with Flannel >

Working with Flannel

Working with Flannel

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
This thread perked up my interest as I too am about to start my first flannel quilt project today. I was wondering why people say to starch their fabric?

Thank you
Maybe1day
I do starch all other cotton fabrics. If you starch prior to cutting it makes the cutting more accurate. It also helps to keep bias from stretching.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I figured it might be a bit more querky working with flannel. The fabric I saw had a panel 25 x 25, so I may only put one or two borders, and not squares or triangles, or anything that would make it really difficult to work with. I will prewash. And I too had wondered why people starch. I've hated startch since I was a kid and had to do the ironing, so I may just wash it more, and work very slowly. I'm sure I'll be making the baby more quilts as he/she gets older. This baby will make grandchild #11 for my DH and I.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Hi all, I figured you all can answer this, except for me. I am going to make a baby quilt. I found some really cute flannel. But I have never worked with flannel before. Is it hard to work with. Is it fabric that should only be larger pieces. Does it quilt nicely. Does it slide around when you are sewing. Do you have any tips. I do have plenty of time to make this. Haven't ordered the material yet either. I just want to make a really cute quilt that is either for a boy or girl. But if it's to hard to work with, I'd just wait until I know if it's a boy or girl and just use cotton. Thanks for your help.
I use flannel all the time for my baby quilts. I have necer had any trouble. I think they work up really nice!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60267-1.htm

Try looking through this thread. I just made a flannel baby quilt for someone, and got a lot of suggestions from others here on the board. It was different, trying to piece the flannel, as it 'crept.' I ended up using my walking foot to piece, as well as following the hints about starching, etc.

I think the quilt turned out alright. It was the first time I had pieced flannel for the top as well as use it for the backing. I did not have a problem quilting it. It was the piecing that got me.

Just read your thread. Since I haven't bought the fabric yet, I may just use cotton. I'm in a wheel chair and a lot of the things that I would love running around doing, I can't so it may just be easier with the cotton.

By the way, I love your quilt. I was going to put the square, and rail fence around the panel. Can still do that if I find a different panel. I've seen a lot of cute cotton fabrics too! Time allows me to think about this, or maybe get some fannel and just play first.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM

I think your idea of getting some flannel to play with first is great! Then you will see if you like the way it works. For babies, I have always backed quilts with flannel. So even if you decide to make the quilt from quilting cotton rather than flannel, you can still have a fuzzy side for the baby to feel.

Congratulations on your coming grandchild! and be sure to share pictures when you have decided what to do!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM

I've only made on baby quilt, and that was for my very first DGD. I got creative and put her picture on it. Had to go to the library to find pictures of a cow jumping over a moon, because that was what they were decorating with. At that time I didn't see fabric with that design. I do now ofcourse, but that was 10 yrs. ago. I'm not sure it was used as a blanket, as much as a wall hanging, but it was cute. Then the grandbabies came to fast to keep up with, so am now catching up, and there is still one more son who is still only 19, so not married and no kids. So there will be more to come. I'll just have to keep practicing on flannel. I'll post the baby quilt when I get it finished.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Flannel is great for rag quilts. I have made 4 quilts and I love them.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Lori S
...............FYI - I find it really a big pain to take out stiches in flannel since they sink into the fabric more than a regular quilting cotton.
Lori mentioned how hard it is to frog stitch (rip it, rip it) on flannel and that made me wonder if using a thicker thread - a 30 or 40 weight - for piecing would help with that? Been many, many years since I made a flannel quilt.

Jan in VA