Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: worn out pins

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    If you have a 'strawberry' pin cushion, the little strawberry has something (I'm not sure what it is) that will sharpen your pins. When I have a stubborn pin, I stab it a couple of time in the little strawberry and lo and behold it works so much better. If that does not work, then into the container(trash) it goes.

I never throw pins or blades in the trash, without them going into a 'safety' container first. I keep a old altoids box next to my sewing machine just for them.
    The something you're referring to, is emery, same as the usefull stuff on an emery board(cardboard nail file). Very useful for helping to sharpen blunt pins and needles.
    And you're all correct, old pins/needles should go the way of a "sharps"bin, be it at the local doctors office, hospital or dentist. Over here, we are fined if there are any sharps in our garbage bins.

Thank you for the ideas - esp. the M&M one...

I was putting them into a piece of paper so I could put it in the recycle bin, but maybe it's better that I just put them in the trash.

I don't do the "living green", but I can't abide waste. Must be a leftover from my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression. ::shrug::

I was told this by my Mom, long gone. Stick the pin, needle, etc into a bar of soft soap. It makes it glide through the fabric like new!

I have found this to be true and keep a bar of soap in a plastic bag whenever I am hand sewing. That way, I know it will always glide!

I use an old pill container too. I never thought of taking them with me to work and disposing of them there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mzsooz
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    If they are straight pins and such I rub(?) the pointy point against my scalp and that usually gets them going again :thumbup:
    OUCH!

Maybe I'm picturing this wrong?
    Actually it is the hair that sharpens the pin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    If they are straight pins and such I rub(?) the pointy point against my scalp and that usually gets them going again :thumbup:
    OUCH!

Not sure what makes it sharp, but I use to do this with diaper pics when my sons were young :thumbup:

OUCH!

Phew...glad to hear that :lol: :lol:

I think I'll try the M&M's method.....or maybe I'll just get a big bag of M&M's and a small sharps container!!

Ditto prescription bottle.

Blog Entries
    It is actually the oil in your hair that makes the pin slide through the fabric. It wouldn't work for a pin with no point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    What do you do with your worn-out pins?

I now have some pins that I've had & used for so long that they are not sharp any more. They don't go through fabric as well as they should.
    I have a baby food jar that I poked a hole in the top with a nail and put all my used needles and pins in. Then when I am ready to put it in the trash I put a piece of duct tape over the hole and out it goes.

I was thinking of this yesterday, I use a tic tac empty container to put my pins but had to change my rotary blade. Would not want anyone to be cut or stuck by either. Going to ask my if I can deposit my sharp items in there container.

I keep them in a container too for further use. Anytime I have to put a pattern on gator board for my miniatures, I use the pins to hold it. Also use them as push pins on my bulletin board. They're great for setting up a loom for weaving small designs to decorate totes etc.

Blog Entries
    OUCH!

Not sure what makes it sharp, but I use to do this with diaper pics when my sons were young :thumbup:

Yeah, me too. Running those big ol' pins through my hair (had a lot back then) would make them as sharp as a tack.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I put them in a prescription bottle and toss them in the trash.
    Great idea but I would suggest one step further and take them not to the trash but with you to your next doctors appointment and ask the assistant if they minded disposing of them in their "sharps container". They usually don't mind. and safe for everyone.
    Most drug stores carry sharps containers. You can find them in the areas where alcohol swabs are. They run between 3 to 4 dollars I believe. Keep one in your sewing room and when it is full you can take it to your local health department and they will dispose of it for you.

good to know

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Great idea but I would suggest one step further and take them not to the trash but with you to your next doctors appointment and ask the assistant if they minded disposing of them in their "sharps container". They usually don't mind. and safe for everyone.
    I put them in the container with my allergy needles and take them to the health dept, when it is full they give me a new container

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    funny, I just did a search "worn out pins" and this thread popped up as # 1 out of 837,000 threads, that is so funny

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=worn+out+pins
    Wow . . . that's amazing. Ever since FAX machines all technology has been magic to me. For this thread to pop up as we write it? Now that's magic.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    OUCH!

Don't poke it in your scalp run the pin along your scalp pointy end running along scalp not against it. Also the oils in your hair help it to slide thru the fabric better.

Same here. I keep an empty pill bottle by my sewing machine and discard the bent and dull pins as I find them.

ditto!

I re purpose my dull straight pins in crafts either in Sunday school or just whatever. I make snowmen out of styrofoam balls and my kids stick them together with old straight pins first dipped in hot glue. The ones with the beaded heads (pins, not kids) tee hee, are held together in threes and dipped in hot glue, cooled and then dipped in black paint to make "coal" eyes for snow people. It is fun and my kids love it!

Blog Entries
    post some of your cool projects, here please so we can recycle our pins

Quote Originally Posted by betlinsmom
    I re purpose my dull straight pins in crafts either in Sunday school or just whatever. I make snowmen out of styrofoam balls and my kids stick them together with old straight pins first dipped in hot glue. The ones with the beaded heads (pins, not kids) tee hee, are held together in threes and dipped in hot glue, cooled and then dipped in black paint to make "coal" eyes for snow people. It is fun and my kids love it!

Blog Entries
    that reminds me we used to make these cool Christmas decorations years ago with my grandma, so I searched and found the free pattern for us

http://www.ehow.com/how_4545974_make...ornaments.html

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    What do you do with your worn-out pins?

I now have some pins that I've had & used for so long that they are not sharp any more. They don't go through fabric as well as they should.

I also use the pill bottle method. When filled, we have a Sharp's container at schoolI will slip them in.

As far as the cost to dispose of the containers, it is outrageous but a necessary evil.
    At the animal shelter, I scheduled the guy to come once a year. At the most, he would have to pick up a box that was 3 cubic feet or about 30"x30"x30". It would be filled with as many full Sharps containers as possible. We were charged over $400 for this one box. Then, you have to turn around and buy more Sharps containers to fill. Yep, it gets expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast