Is it worth fixing? Bernina Record 930 Electronic

Is it worth fixing? Bernina Record 930 Electronic

Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Many videos on the bernina
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 AM

I would surely fix any Bernina.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 AM

It is definitely worth fixing. Nothing sews like a Benina that is well cared for. I would think a repairman will be able to fix it with a tune-up and oil in the proper places. Oil does dry out over a period of time. The 930 is a great machine. I had an 830 for lots of years, sold it to a friend in a moment of weakness; it still runs great.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I would surely fix any Bernina.
I agree. My Bernina 1030 has been faithful since I bought it in 1988, and still going like new.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM

I'm not a do-it-yourself gal when it comes to machine repair. But it will be worth repairing, I know that! 930s go for $600-$100 depending on condition and what feet and accessories are included. I got mine from another QB member. It was my first Bernina and the start of a love affair. Now I mostly use my 630, 820, and 1030, but that 930 is such an amazing feat of engineering, I can't seem to let it go.

Anyway, if you can't fix it yourself, it will definitely be worth having it professionally serviced. Best of luck and enjoy!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM

There are three reasons for the decorative stitches to not work. (1) The stitch selector lever gets gummed-up. Which is an easy fix for a tech who's not afraid to use a little WD-40 on that shaft. (2) Or the camstack gear is cracked. (which can be replaced, but is $33 + labor -- not an easy fix). (3) Or the needle bar shaft needs to be re-positioned -- another easy fix. I'm thinking it's #3, because you're not getting a zig-zag.

YES! This machine is worth putting the money into! I just inherited one, and am working on getting it set up for our family business.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM

I have a Bernina 950 that is a light industrial kind of a step up from a home machine but not a full industrial. I need help with it the fly wheel is really stiff. I have looked for information on the Bernina web site but nothing on this machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
I have a Bernina 950 that is a light industrial kind of a step up from a home machine but not a full industrial. I need help with it the fly wheel is really stiff. I have looked for information on the Bernina web site but nothing on this machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried posting over on the vintage forum? One of them might be able to help.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

I think you should get rid of it. And I just happen to be a self appointed Bernina Record Disposal agent. I'll even pay the shipping from your house to mine.

I love my 830. And how often do you zigzag in quilting anyway? If it goes forward and reverse, 98% of your sewing is taken care of.

Anyhow, that machine is a truck. Take it in when you can and get it troubleshot. In the mean time, use it. Beautiful machine. tim in san jose
Old 01-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Fixed it

Thanks for all your help. I kept trying one suggestion after another until I located the problem. The stitch selector was semi-stuck. It would go into the V but not far enough to engage the stitch selector I got the book out and saw the places to oil it. I kept moving it manually until it began to work on its own. I have now tried every one of the stitches and it works perfectly.

Yes, you Bernina lovers are correct. I love this machine. I am now going to get it professionally cleaned and just think what I can do now!