Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it worth saving? >

Is it worth saving?

Is it worth saving?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by lewisl
Sorry to be so blunt, but here's my opinion--too much work. If you put on new batting, backing and binding, the top is still going to be old and fragile and probably wear out long before the rest of it that you've put so much time and perhaps money into.

Let it go to Quilt Heaven!
If you plan to throw it away, send it to me.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Definitely fix it.

I hope someone can estimate the age, I'm not that knowledgable
once any NEW work is done to it..the OLD age won't matter..it will be considered a quilt made in 2011!

The fabrics however are from different decades. Mainly 60's. Some also appear to not be 100% cotton, but a poly blend.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Evie
And that is my question: When is it time to "retire" a quilt? Why would every quilt need to be "rescued"? Am I too unsentimental, with no regard to the hard work and time that goes into making a quilt? I don't think so. I just think each piece has a life span.
when the fabrics are so fragile that simply poking it with a pin causes it to shred, or when it has so many large holes it can not be taken apart and redone or patched decently.

THere are times when it just has to be photographed and let go!

I believe in saving as much as possible..especially if it has a family history that is documented.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Are all the problems around the edges of the quilt? Is the rest of the backing okay? If so you might just cut off the edges, re-bind it, and not have to do any more work. From the pictures it does look like it's worth saving.
I agree! Love the colors. Yes, it's worth saving.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Good suggestions here. I too have a quilt that is stored right now. That has a couple of place needing the fabrics replaced. I figure when I know more about quilting and get better at it... then I'll attempt it. Mine's not tied though. I'm assuming that the ties make it both easier and perhaps somewhat harder to deal with. This is a very good question, and thanks to all of you who've been answering. BJ's not the only person on here who's curious about quilt restorations.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM

I hate to see a quilt die if you can do a little CPR on it, and get it's heart going again. I would at least try. What have you got to loose?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I'd definitely repair it. I rescued one recently fromt the 20 to 30's and I have to repair part of it and just got stuff to get the aging stains out of it. This quilt still has alot of long years of comfort to give.
Judy,
What kind of stuff do you get to get the aging stains out?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM

I had a couple of old family quilts that I'm in the process of repairing. The one I started first has about 8 blocks in the middle that needs repaired. I carefully took the bottom row off the quilt & I'm using them to hand replace the bad blocks in the middle. It's taking time because I'm trying to make it not show the repairs.

I would like to know what you decide to do. If you repair it I would like to see the quilt when you get it finished.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 PM

If those are the only blocks that need replacing you could cut away that row around the quilt, that way you wouldn't have to match the blocks with different fabric and then replace the backing..You could leave the ties and do what Maggiemay suggest and FMQ around them...Then add a new binding...just a thought...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM

oh definitely fix it! or send it to me lol. someone took the time to make it, it deserves to be fixed and loved