Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would like to make a crumb sandwich >

Would like to make a crumb sandwich

Would like to make a crumb sandwich

Old 08-11-2023, 04:59 AM

Default Would like to make a crumb sandwich

After reading the scraps thread, I am interested in the method of sandwiching crumbs between two layers and sew all over. Could someone, please, help with search phrases for YT or a tutorial?
I like learning new stuff!
Old 08-11-2023, 05:40 AM

I haven't done it myself but I think I saw instructions to use netting on either side. Also, you might try water soluble stabilizer too. Just a guess here.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:56 AM

Posts 10 (Western Wilson) and 31 (rryder) both make reference to it and WW's post includes a video that shows a bit of how it is done. Sounds like they may have some insights as to materials and process. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2023, 06:59 AM

I did a class with Gail Hunt years ago, she had a similar method called “confetti quilting”. It was fun, we used it for the bushes in a landscape quilt, I must have given it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X67xrvKOek
Old 08-11-2023, 02:09 PM

Hey Ashley333- it's pretty easy. The way I do it is:
Materials needed:
Wash away stabilizer to use for the outsides of your crumb sandwich. There are a number of different kinds of wash away stabilizers. All are made of something like cornstarch and they dissolve pretty easily in a sink full of water when you're finished stitching your project. Some stabilizers are very sturdy and others are flimsy almost like plastic wrap. When I'm making scarves I use 2 types: Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy and an inexpensive wash away stabilizer by H.B.I. Products that I get from Amazon.

I use Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy for the bottom of my crumb sandwich- it has a release paper that you pull off to expose the sticky side. I cut it to the size that I want my finished scarf to be- usually 6" by 4 to 5 feet. lay it on my sewing table with the sticky side up and lay my crumbs out on it about 1 layer thick, overlapping some to make sure there aren't any gaps. Once that's done, I cut a piece of the other stabilizer that doesn't have any sticky and lay that over top. I usually pin it along the edges to keep it in place. Then I sew all over it in a grid pattern making sure to catch all the small bits of fabric in the grid and also to cross every one of my stitched lines. Then I sew around the edges twice- again making sure to catch the stitched lines.

When the stitching is done I swish it around in tepid water in my bathroom sink until the stabilizer has dissolved. Hang to dry. It will be stiff once dry due to some residual stabilizer. To remove the rest of the stabilizer I throw it in my washing machine on a regular cycle and then run it through the dryer on normal heat. What comes out is a nice, soft drapey piece of fabric.

Rob
Old 08-12-2023, 04:10 AM

Thank you so much for your advice and tips!
Old 08-13-2023, 04:25 AM

Here is one for you showing yarn which would be similar using fabric. Scroll to just past the 4 minute mark to see the technique.

https://rnk-floriani.com/video-library.php

FYI:

To make your project reversible put the first layer of fabrics down on the stabilizer Wrong Side up.

Then top with a second layer of fabrics placed Right Side Up.