Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you believe I did it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
    Practice makes perfect?
    The problem is I am practicing to do it wrong!!! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    As ye sew so shall ye rip!! Been there done that, too.
    That is too funny!!! I got it all taken apart and resewn. Now to add the joining strip and add it to the quilt. I had hoped to finish it today but now it will be tomorrow at the earliest!! :-D

Blog Entries
    Eyebrow shaver looks like a dangerous tool to use on your eyebrows or a quilt!

Quilter711

Walgreens has them. I'm not sure how to work them properly, but I have them.

Blog Entries
    I use a pair of little "snippers" (not sure what they are called - the kind with no finger holes - cost less than $2). The points are very precise and they are excellent for going in the seam and only clipping the thread. I love them.

Oh my, how frustrating is that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I'm either going to show my age or the fact that I'm not into much makeup, but what are eyebrow shavers?
    Oh, thank goodness someone asked the question!! I was too chicken to ask! :oops: :roll:

I sometimes use a small pair of embroidery scissors they have a small hook that catches the thread easy.

Has anyone used something called a "Ripper-Clipper"? I love them so much I keep a pair by each machine. They can be purchased at Shoppers Rule and Nancy's Notions.
    They have a very sharp point to pick up those tiny stitches and are also a wonderful clipper.

I think I'd cry!!!

I really feel for you. I'm working on a large block quilt for my DGS for his big boy bed. After I had nine rows of 8.5" blocks sewed together, I realized that half way thru it, I had flipped the quilt. The tension in my head and in my hand ripping those seams out was undescribable. :cry: :cry:

Keep a loose upper lip!!!

I am like the quilters using the razor; I use the rotary cutter (saw this on TV with Alex) and tried it. Must be careful and pay attention to what you are doing but it really works fast.

Blog Entries
    Hi Jack the Ripper

Don't quite understand when you say the blocks don't match, but did you ever hear the old adage: "There is always one mistake in every quilt. Why not camaflage someway and not rip. I have done the same thing. You can cover in up, believe me. Add a nice little border at borth ends or on that end make it with a border and some appliques. You can fix it, but don't rip it. It is your creation, perfect or not.

I feel for you!! Unfortunately, along with many others, I can say I've been there too. I was wondering if you could post a picture of what you have done/undone so far, I'd like to do a QAYG quilt so it could help to see it part way done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    As ye sew so shall ye rip!! Been there done that, too.
    That is too funny!!! I got it all taken apart and resewn. Now to add the joining strip and add it to the quilt. I had hoped to finish it today but now it will be tomorrow at the earliest!! :-D

A mans mustache trimmer works great. At a retreat last year I kept hearing this "buzzzz" sound from across the room and finally had to go see what was happening. The lady was using the mustache trimmer to unsew. Stopped at Walgreen on the way home and bought one. Came home and said to my hubby, "see what I bought for you". "HUH!! I don't have a mustache". "Oh, guess I will have to use it to rip seams". Hee hee. It does work like a charm though.

Gee, this has never happened to any of us. :roll:

Thanks for the url. I just might try this! Of course, if I have it, I'll never need it right? (I can dream can't I? LOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Walmart has them....& drugstore .com has 3pk for 2.98 I think.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stiles-Raz...i_sku=10317346

I was at a quilt show in Tucson last winter. We watched a demo on a battery operated seam ripper. Well, we had to have this gadget... They were a packaged and ready to go. Low and behold when we got them home and opened up the bag it was a beard trimmer. They sell these at Walmart for around $10.00, we payed $20.00 Oh well it does work good.

My first quilt teacher told us "The seam ripper is your FRIEND" ... I didn't realize that she meant "bff"
    So sorry Ditter that all your hard work was just for practice matching points

So sorry. Now you can refer back to the thread we just had on what bad words do we use. You earned the right to use them all. I agree that you might try to reinvent your original design and come up with something really unique with a great story. Every heart out here feels your pain and frustration.

Yesterday I was chain-piecing a sort of half flying geese unit to make a tulip block. After about the fourth one, I said to myself, "I hope I'm sewing these together right," but of course didn't stop to check. Bad plan. When I was finished and started folding the corner back, I realized that, indeed, I had sewn them in the wrong direction. I had to rip every one out and do it again . . . and that was my whole day in sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    My Gma taught me to rip seams with a razor blade, works great, you just have to pay attention.
    Me,too. They saftey blades.

Does anyone know if the mustache trimmer would work to remove machine embroidery?

Blog Entries
    i was taught to use the rotary cutter to rip out seams

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S
    I wonder does anybody use a fine, very pointed pair of scissors to rip seams? I just cut the line of stitching every 1/4 inch or so and it just pulls apart. I find I don't accidently cut the fabric using the scissors. Sorry Ditter about your having to undo. All of us have been there. I'm a better ripper than a piecer or a quilter. More practice.
    Do you mean like cuticle scissors? 8-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast