Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you display quilts in an outside show? >

Would you display quilts in an outside show?

Would you display quilts in an outside show?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 AM

NOPE, Never.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 AM

Nope. Not mine! Too much spider goo, bird poop, and bugs!! Nope!! Not mine!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 AM

I read the first responses, all negative about displaying outside, and I agreed and responded with my thought below:

It might be fair to guess that anyone who organizes an outdoor quilt show is not a quilter...... I can't imagine hanging my quilts outside on a clothesline for a few hours, let alone for hours.....

But then I kept reading and saw a number of posts of quilters who WOULD display outside, and I have to change my mind. I now think it is one of those issues where folks will do what they think best for themselves. No wrong answer here, in my opinion!

Last edited by RGAY; 05-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 AM

I do like the idea of people coming and going in an outdoor's quilt show instead of crowded inside a big room but I'm not sure how safe a quilt would be.
Many, many years ago when I was in high school the art club's art was displayed down town on the green and my piece came back damaged. I wasn't to happy about it and who knows if it was knocked over there or damaged in transit.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

NOOOPPPPPEEEE!!!!!!! Friend of mine wanted to sell couple of her quilts. She thought an upcoming quilt show would be a good idea. The flu changed that for her. Good thing too. Out of about 30+ quilts 6 were stolen, some ripped and dirtied and stained and birds did their business on. She was glad it was just a 24 hour virus and she still sold those quilts in their beautiful splendor with a matching price to go with them. This was a late fall crisp day. Some of the quilts also had sap on them. Sap is one of the harder things to get out of anything. I will never do an outside quilt show unless under protective cover and a security guard.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I haven't but would
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM

I personally dislike quilts displayed in "cute" ways. I want to see them hanging straight down so that I can see and fully appreciate the quilt and the skills that went into creating it. I went to a quilt show in a beautiful old restored house; the quilts were beautiful, too -- what we could see of them. They were draped over stair balustrades, chairs, tables, trunks, sofas, bookcases, tumbling out of armoires, etc. I'm sure the organizers thought they'd done a great job but I felt frustrated and annoyed. Either hang quilts or put them on a bed!

I certainly wouldn't want one of my quilts under a dove cote, nor would I want to see anyone else's displayed in such a stupid and harmful way.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 AM

No way would I put one of mine in that show either. We had theft at the fair grounds inside a building, I can't imagine what all could happen out an outside show.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM

I am really saddened to hear of quilts being stolen from shows. Even my LQS had a quilt stolen off the wall.

I don't understand it at all. Do people steal quilts to sell them?

I cannot imagine enjoying a stolen quilt.

Elise
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Trenton, FL has a lovely outdoor show. This was our first year to attend and we were amazed at how many quilts were on view. The only "bad" thing I saw was a couple of folks couldn't resist touching a quilt. It was a wonderful experience and I'm thankful so many folks shared their quilts for others to enjoy. Weigh the risks and then decide about whether to be part of the show...or not.
We used to do craft shows and that was a constant problem. People were not content to look, they had to touch as well. While most of the craft fair we did were outdoors, we were in control of how they were displayed and we were right there all the time. I wouldn't leave one in a show like you mentioned.