Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would You Have Bought This? >

Would You Have Bought This?

Would You Have Bought This?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by ewecansew
I am in Canada, and the Hudson's Bay Company (oldest company in Canada, I think) was a fur trading company and had wool blankets with stripes on the ends on them. Most were white with red, black, green and blue stripes. Some were red and are considered quite rare and worth quite a bit of money. The red ones only have a black stripe on each end. Worth several hundred dollars.
Tell me you're kidding? Seriously, I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the red one I have is exactly as you describe...

Edit to add - I checked, it is not a Hudson's Bay blanket, but IS pretty much exactly as you described. It's made by another Canadian company, though - Horn Brothers. Some quick searching tells me that these blankets are often mistaken for HBC blankets because the label on it has a big "HB" on it. lol
Do the Horn blankets have a good value? I've not heard of them.
Not that I can tell. But Maybe. Apparently, these wool blankets are a collectors item. There is a couple of books written about them, and it seems that is the only place to get solid information on them...and, well, I'm not buying the book. LOL I'm going to do some more searching today and see what I can find.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
Just an off the wall question that bothers me from time to time: if we pick up stuff like jackets, coats, sweaters to cut up and use for other things like quilts or crafts, are we depriving warm clothing to those who can't afford to shop elsewhere? I know, I am very anal sometimes.
I understand how you feel....Sometimes thrift stores here are not super careful about what they re-sell....If I see something that is still very useful/wearable I wouldn't buy it to cut up. If something has missing buttons, torn seams or some ravelling or stains/holes...it's fair game. Sounds awful, but some people think giving holey t-shirts, paint stained jeans and all kinds of wrecked items are good to pass on to charities. I have even seen people put unclean/pet used blankets in charity collection bins!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 AM

I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I use the blankets on my bed if they are in good shape. If they are ratty I buy them anyway because in my area people sometimes leave their dogs outside in the winter. It is 4* here right now. I'll give the blanket to the offenders and explain (nicely) to them since it is wool it will keep the dog warm even if the blanket gets wet. I have never had one refused and they are always put out for the dog, or the dog gets taken inside. I figure either way it is a 'Win'
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM

After reading all the post,I say if it's still there,go for it. :thumbup: :roll: :thumbup:
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Felt it and make family slippers or mitts etc
M
Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 AM

Wool blankets are really warm but I can't wrap up in them as I have an alergic reaction and get a bad rash. My Mom used wool army blankets for batting. Gosh just thinking about wool I start to itch!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 AM

Felting is the process of washing wool over and over to shrink it until it does not ravel. The easiest way would be to run it through a number of wash cycles before the rinse and spin. I know someone that raises sheep and either washes the wool after it is sheared to make felt or has it spun into yarn. There are many different grades of wool and that is based on the type of sheep the wool has come from.

I would have bought it if I thought it was something I would use at some point in time. I also know people that get things like that to cut in very narrow strips to make a type of punch rug which are very pretty.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Diamondrose
Felting is the process of washing wool over and over to shrink it until it does not ravel. The easiest way would be to run it through a number of wash cycles before the rinse and spin. I know someone that raises sheep and either washes the wool after it is sheared to make felt or has it spun into yarn. There are many different grades of wool and that is based on the type of sheep the wool has come from.

I would have bought it if I thought it was something I would use at some point in time. I also know people that get things like that to cut in very narrow strips to make a type of punch rug which are very pretty.
Thanks for explaining felting. So do you mean I can wash wool to the place it will not unravel? Wow, I didn't know that. Now lets just hope the blankets still there :)
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 AM

If the blanket was 100 percent wool and in good condition, I'd buy it and boil it and either use for felted wool projects... or resell it to others who do use felted wool. I have made felted wool handbags with applique designs and sold them here by New Englanders for winter use.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 AM

I always buy wool blankets at thrift stores and use them to make rag rugs. I always wash them the minute I get home or leave outside till I do since I don't want to bring moths home. I wash no matter what, but hold up to a window and see if you can see any thin spots or holes.